Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H2 oil tank 72
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:07 am 

Hi Guys i have a problem with my H2s oil tank weeping oil I think its porous or cracking up with age . dose anyone do repos for them or is there a market to start making them :problem: , i might see if i can if no one is doing it :D , urs Al in Aus

Post subject: Re: H2 oil tank 72
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:07 am 

Al I have a good one as spare but the problem with us old farts is we do not want to sell anything, we gonna need extra parts sooner or later.. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:05 pm 

I don't remember just which blend plastic those tanks are, but, it could be a form of PVC. If so, then a good PVC cement and fiberglass cloth might stop further cracking and fix the holes. Fiberglass resins won't stick to those tanks, but, PVC cement should. Add the cloth mesh to the cement, and it should make a very good cover seal.

I use ABS cement and fiberglass cloth to fix side covers and fairings made of ABS.

Just an idea for all to think about.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:27 pm 

Hi

I´m not sure but would guess that the tank is polyehtylene. If so it might be hard to get anything to stick permanently to the tank. Are you sure that the tank itself is leaking? I also had a leaking tank but it ended up being a broken bottom connection, the "filter" part no 52020-001.

Bjorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:08 pm 

I had a leak that went un found for a while. it was the outlet nipple. It had a small razor cut in it almost invisible. I suppose someone cut off an old oil line....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:17 pm 

ZERO wrote:
I had a leak that went un found for a while. it was the outlet nipple. It had a small razor cut in it almost invisible. I suppose someone cut off an old oil line....

yep... look here first

When they get over-tightened, they will actually split where the taper of the outlet nipple begins as it bottoms out on the threaded area of the tank. The more it is tightened, the easier it is to see the crack as it just plain TEARS away from the base....

If it is indeed the tank that is cracked...Is there any reason a guy couldn't coat the inside with Caswell 2 part epoxy??? I cant see why not....... as long as it is prepped/de-oiled properly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:23 pm 

Epoxy won't stick to polyethylene worth a darn. You can weld polyethylene, but it takes a special tool that blows hot gas, and a non oxygen containing gas like nitrogen, if I remember right.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:32 pm 

Jim wrote:
Epoxy won't stick to polyethylene worth a darn. You can weld polyethylene, but it takes a special tool that blows hot gas, and a non oxygen containing gas like nitrogen, if I remember right.

I know that Ducati guys are buying it by the 55 gallon drums to cover WARRANTY claims on their plastic (Acerbis?) tanked bikes.

Even if it didn't stick, wouldn't it create a "tank inside a tank"... or hard liner. When that stuff dries, its like a freaking rock....

Who wants to be the guinea pig?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:38 pm 

Well, if you could get a couple coats of it in there so the epoxy became the tank, and the original tank became a protective case for it, maybe it would work. I think I'd rather fabricate a welded aluminum tank and be done with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:39 pm 

I have already replaced the tank a few yrs ago the original was like a road map it had that many cracks , and there is a new outlet fitting already found that on last one and a spare in the shed, thanks for the input ,I might made a mold of the old tank and play with resin , and see how I go at making one :)