Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:16 am 

Well my S3 engine is on the bench and going back together today and I made a neat discovery that I think is worthy of passing on.

When cleaning old dull cylinder and head fins its tough finding a wire brush that fits between the fins and in thr nooks and crannies , well after trying everything I could think of a light went on ln my noggin :idea: , I tried a .38 cal bore brush and one length of cleaning rod and wow :o its perfect for the job it can do all the fins and nooks and also a perfect fit for the head bolt holes and also get into the ports :D .

For those that don't have a firearms stuff around a .38 bore brush and a rod cost under 10 dollars.

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:18 pm 

Jackman wrote:
Well my S3 engine is on the bench and going back together today and I made a neat discovery that I think is worthy of passing on.

When cleaning old dull cylinder and head fins its tough finding a wire brush that fits between the fins and in thr nooks and crannies , well after trying everything I could think of a light went on ln my noggin :idea: , I tried a .38 cal bore brush and one length of cleaning rod and wow :o its perfect for the job it can do all the fins and nooks and also a perfect fit for the head bolt holes and also get into the ports :D .

For those that don't have a firearms stuff around a .38 bore brush and a rod cost under 10 dollars.

is it nylon?, brass?, steel?

could a guy cut off the end and chuck it up in a cordless drill? I found some nylon bristle brushes a while back similar to baby-bottle cleaning brushes, but smaller diameter.
I have no idea what they are for originally? (midget baby bottles maybe?)

anyways, I cut the handles off of them, dip them in Mothers Aluminum polish and "clean" between cyl/head fins that way.. The only problem is the bristles dont last long and dislodge themselves after about one cylinder. They were cheap enough, but gets pretty annoying after a while.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:35 pm 

The bore brush is brass and did a really nice job on the cylinders :D the heads however need more work the brush just can't reach all the tight spots especially around the spark plug hole.

I'll try your suggestion tomorrow and put a drill on the cleaning rod and brush that should work pretty good.

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:42 am 

You can get nylon ones if you want them. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1280 ... RE-BRUSHES

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:12 am 

Nylon would be good for the clean shiny fins but on my cylinders I have serious crud and corrosion , there looking alot better more scrubbing today.

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:07 pm 

scrambler73 wrote:
could a guy cut off the end and chuck it up in a cordless drill?

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-piece-engine-brush-kit-67071.html