Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:14 am 

Location: Barbados, a tiny island in the Caribbean 166 square miles
kx85 wrote:
Actually it has already been suggested that I fly from Miami to Knoxville TN and see if I can get a ride with someone to DG.
I can also fly to Miami, and get a ride from Miami to DG. What you have to realise is that I drive on the left hand side of the road, haven't driven in the US since 1999, so that drive would be freaky for me and I really don't know where I'm going, sooooo I prefer not to drive.

I'm quite willing to share expenses, I'm a very easy going, non fussy, and good travel companion. And I don't bitch or complain. Of course, it would be nice to travel with someone I do know, rather than an ax murderer. :D :mrgreen:

And I also have no problem sharing a room, we are adults after all, and rooms/space is at a premium. Once again would prefer to room with someone I know though, and maybe with an older fart, they are safe after all. LMAO :D

Coz whenever done, I AM like one of the boys! :mrgreen:

"I tried to restrain myself, but I escaped." ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:30 am 

The ticked prices I posted above are round trip from Barbados to either Miami or Knoxville. You don't have to book a separate flight from Miami to Knoxville. I was trying to point out that it's cheaper to get the tickets from Barbados to Knoxville than to fly to Miami and drive to the meet. Once you're at the Knoxville airport, you can get a ride with someone going past there, or rent a car there if you want to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:27 pm 

I circumvented England once for two weeks - I can understand the wrong side of the road thing. The round-a-bouts are what gave me the most grief, that and the narrow roads - and driving in London was a nightmare.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:10 pm 

BarryB wrote:
I circumvented England once for two weeks - I can understand the wrong side of the road thing. The round-a-bouts are what gave me the most grief, that and the narrow roads - and driving in London was a nightmare.

where i grew up in the south east UK they have huge roundabouts with maybe six smaller saterlite rounderabouts ,no thats confusing :banghead

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:41 pm 

Jim wrote:
....., and gasoline is $4/gallon, you'll pay $272 for gasoline. Clearly, flying to Knoxville is cheaper.

Well....gasoline right now is approx $ 3.25/gal. The price per barrel is skyrocketing right now so it could get back close to 4/gal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:56 pm 

Ric wrote:
Well....gasoline right now is approx $ 3.25/gal. The price per barrel is skyrocketing right now so it could get back close to 4/gal.

That was my guess. I've heard recent predictions that it will be over $4 in the spring of 2012, but the best way to know the price of gasoline in the spring of 2012 is to look at a gas pump in the spring of 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:12 pm 

kx85 wrote:
I also have to contend with riding on the wrong side of the road too.

The last visitor that had to deal with that.... Well, it didn't turn out so good :shifty:

Post subject: Re: Knoxville to the Gap
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:37 pm 

Location: Barbados, a tiny island in the Caribbean 166 square miles
[quote="kx85"]Hey Lisa.....Just some ideas..still way early in the process....

Depends on when you arrive and what others plans become but, for example, John Aylor from New Mexico has flown into Knoxville and had someone come from the Gap to pick him up (it's only a one hour drive); although recently he's been riding across country with someone like Barry in Colorado. Also, there could be someone coming through or from near the Knoxville area. Again, just depends on your timing and the timing of others; which can't be determined until maybe 30 days prior to the event.

If nothing becomes clear cut, and you'd like to get this issue off your plate....I get to the Gap on Saturday or Sunday (4/28 or 29) and leave the next Sunday (5/6). I'd be happy to pick you up if you fly into Knoxville. I will have my 09 BMW R1200R with side and top cases for your luggage, as long as you don't bring five weeks of stuff (I know how you ladies are with packing). My two side cases are 32 liters each and the top case is 22 liters. Should be easy if you're packed in three small'ish bags. And of course you would be using your riding gear. It's a breath-taking ride between Knoxville and the Gap so thats an extra plus. You'd get a great ride through the mountains and an introduction to the Dragon. I think you'd like it very much.

Anyway....Just an idea.....

To give you an idea of my carrying capacity....Here's my boxer....

Ok who wrote that????? Seems some sorta glitch went on there.Nope I'll probably carry one carry on bag, I'm sure I'll be living in jeans and tshirts.

@Jim, I was checking out that cheap fares site, and there is a stop over from Barbados to Miami to Knoxville. Only problem is that if I take that flight as a one way, it arrives in Knoxville at 9.45pm. Too late I'd think for anyone to pick me up, and not fair. Or I can fly to Miami, sleep over and then travel in the morning and arrive Knoxville around 10ish, which is more reasonable I think.

"I tried to restrain myself, but I escaped." ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:52 pm 

If we pick you up ya gotta deal with this kinda stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKoa99jqqc&feature=youtu.be

Post subject: Re: Knoxville to the Gap
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:14 pm 

kx85 wrote:
@Jim, I was checking out that cheap fares site, and there is a stop over from Barbados to Miami to Knoxville. Only problem is that if I take that flight as a one way, it arrives in Knoxville at 9.45pm. Too late I'd think for anyone to pick me up, and not fair. Or I can fly to Miami, sleep over and then travel in the morning and arrive Knoxville around 10ish, which is more reasonable I think.
[/b]

If you really meant "one-way", usually two one-way flights cost you more than a round-trip flight, but the details are up to you. :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next