Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:50 pm 

This is just to inform newbies and provide a refresher course to everyone on how getting to the Deals Gap Meet comes to pass. Sorry it's lengthy. You don't have to read it all but you'll find it helpful if you do.

First off, although all are invited, bring what ya got but, this is a 2-stroke gathering. Bring a 2-stroke road bike if you can ! Bring lots of'em !!! If you show up on a Harley or other 4-stroke expect to be berated severely and often.

THE HOTEL (HQ's): I obtain all available rooms at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort. By the end of February I create a post making the rooms available on a first-come-first-serve basis. I do not control in any way the camping or other hotels in the area. In early February I create a post to remind people the hotel rooms will come open by the end of the month. If you're really way interested in coming....February is an important month to stay in tune with the forum. Believe it or not some folks forget this.

The method used to obtain the rooms has been developed over many years (I've been doing this since 2003). The method used works best for me, you, and most importantly the hotel and it's staff. It also works well for other motorcycle groups; I am frequently jockying for position on the calender with others and, I am frequently wheeling & dealing with other groups to obtain the best weekend in May for the majority. You wouldn't believe the phone calls I get.

Everyone should know that we, us 2-strokers, have the utmost respect and graditude from the hotel owner, his wife (very important), the managers and staff. Strangely, some motorcycle groups tear the place up, puke all over the place, and make a general nuisance of themselves to other hotel guest and visitors (go figure). We on the other hand are considered a well behaved group who takes care of the hotel property and it's guests and visitors. Make no mistake, the hotel appreciates this; and we should all remember to say thanks to the hotel staff and keep a good smile on our face to everyone while there; it's good for us and it's good business for the hotel. We are #1 with the hotel.

There are hotel rules that must be followed so, those rules are our rules too. They include but not limited too:

no speeding in the parking lot
no wheelies on the property
no burnouts
no bikes in the rooms
no drainning oil out on the parking lot (Duhhhh....yes it's been done)

Also, there are absolutely NO hot-heads invited. If someone pisses you off, grow up and get over it. Do not create a disturbance of any kind: i.e. yelling, cussing, giving the finger, picking a fight, being abusive and or making a general ass of yourself no matter what the provocation or amount of booze consummed, etc.....Remember, you're representing all of us when it comes to the hotel, it's guest and visitors.

HQ (Head-Quarters): HQ is the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort

ROOM RATES: Normally the standard & apartment rooms are $59.99 & $79.99 respectively with an additional $10 for each person over two people in the room. In the past I have managed to get the additional people charge waived and expect to retain that offer from the hotel.

AVAILBILITY: All fourteen rooms are available. 12 Standard size rooms & 2 large apartment rooms. Go to the Deals Gap Motorcyce Resort web site to learn more about the rooms. http://dealsgap.com/motel.htm

STAFF: Upon the extremely sad day that you have to check out....be sure to leave a tip in the room for the hotel staff. They've taken good care of us for many years now. Also, this is not a five star resort so don't get your pannies in a wad if the cafe isn't open exactly on time or you didn't get a mint on your pillow, or the gasoline is a nickle higher than down the street. Before you pop off to the staff, remember who you're with and what they've done for us over the years.

ROOM HOLDER: This term identifies as a person who has taken on the resposibility of a room.

OBLIGATION: Please.....Please....do not become a room-holder so you'll have one just-in-case you can go. Get a room only if you're sure you are going to show up. If you get a room and don't show up on time it could be given to someone else. You can make arrangments with someone at the meet to hold the room for you but you will still be responsible for the room costs. It's likely we'll find someone to take the room for the night you miss.

Try to get a room for the entire week, or as much as possible. If you can only stay a day or two or three, try to room up with someone staying the whole week.

Things happen and people have to change plans. Hence, it's understandable for anyone to drop out if you lose a child. But that's it, if your mother or wife dies or you loss your job...too bad....Gezzz...you probably need to show up anyway....be reasonable !

Sometime in March I will give the hotel the list of names of those who've spoken for a room (become a room holder). At that time I will notify the room holders by Private Message (PM) to call the hotel and have their room placed on their credit card.

The hotel will be working with a single purchaser of each room, the room holder. If you share with others you must get your money from those you are sharing with. Do not go to the hotel telling them you are only responsible for one-fourth of the room. Once you've spoken for a room you are the sole person responsible to the hotel for paying for that room in full. You can probably get the hotel to run both your cards if you go down to the desk together.

NOTE: If it turns out you can't go (i.e. loss of child), please PLEASE don't call the hotel and cancel. Contact me so I can call the hotel and get the room back in my name; otherwise the hotel will see the room as being given up by us and it will then be given to just anyone (like some wacky 4-stroker guys or something).

ADDITIONALLY: Please understand that all this comes from a long standing arrangement with the hotel. The more simple it is for the hotel the more willing they are to rent the whole place this far in advance. And, the more likely they will give us a break on the rates. So, please don't be calling the hotel except when I advise you too in March. If you have questions...contact me.

Also, please be understanding if there's any screw ups. We've had only a couple minor screw ups in eleven years so you shouldn't expect one. But please be understanding if a problem occurs. If you want to complain just let me know and I will have a few Marines come directly to your house to work things out.

IMPORTANT: This is not any sort of club meet. We are not a club or formal association of any type. We are not affiliated with any organization, business, club, association, or otherwise. There is no board of directors or officials, no dues, no voting, etc. This is just friends getting together. Using this forum, as well as others is merely a way to pull friends together to acquire rooms at the same hotel at the same time. Everyone is on their own. No individual or organization is responsible for any others actions. Be safe, obey the law, and have fun. Also,

1. Stick around the board once in a while to stay in touch.
2. Check your PM's in the March time period for calling the hotel.
3. Try to share and make room for some of your fellow 2-strokers.
4. If you have an extra bed to spare, create a post to that effect.

IF YOU DON'T GET A ROOM AT HQ'S ......(gasp !)

1. PANIC !!!

2. PM me your name and I'll put you on a waiting list (someone's kid will die)

3. Start a post asking to share with someone who has a room

4. Get a room at Fontana Village just 9 miles from HQ: U.S.A. = 800-849-2258. http://www.fontanavillage.com/contact_us

5. Do a search for other hotels in the Robbinsville N.C. area

6. Topoco Lodge has reopened. I understand they think highly of their service. But you could try them out: http://www.tapocolodge.com/ : info@tapocolodge.com / http://www.facebook.com/pages/Robbinsvi ... 8063617559

7. Bring your camping gear.

FINALLY: Everyone must be really kind to me, always comment on how really way cool I am and how my bikes are just the coolest ever, and always end your conversations with me by saying "ROLL TIDE !".

Also, If you think you're hot sh*t through the Gap just let me know and we'll fix that.

Good luck, and ROLL TIDE !

NOTE: These 4-strokes were given a pass because they're the correct color scheme and manufacture. And they're really way cool like all my bikes.....and maybe one of Moo's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:25 pm 

I'm sorry for last time but those Harley RUBs were a danger to everyone on the road! Next time I just throw eggs on them when I pass them. Lesson learned. :?

Last edited by BarryB on Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:05 am 

BarryB wrote:
Next time I just throw eggs on them when I pass them.

Would you like me to bring some "Roman Candles with Report" this year, Barry?
(I was with Barry, and was forced into the oncoming lane by these idiots after being waved on to pass.)

Rick, thank you very much for organizing the meet, and all joking aside, I very much look forward to a fun and peaceful gathering.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:33 am 

Location: Barbados, a tiny island in the Caribbean 166 square miles
"AVAILBILITY:
All fourteen rooms are available. 12 Standard size rooms & 2 large apartment rooms. Go to the Deals Gap Motorcyce Resort web site to learn more about the rooms."

Only 14 rooms are available???????? I thought lots and lots of guys come down.

Oh yeah, "Hi Ric, you are soooooooooo cool and have some sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet bikes." Gotta start my sucking up early. :mrgreen:

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I tried to restrain myself, but I escaped." ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:53 am 

kx85 wrote:
Only 14 rooms are available???????? I thought lots and lots of guys come down.

Well...each of the 12 std rooms will easily sleep three and the 2 large rooms will sleep four (although I've known a large room to hold six). So thats 44 people. Additionally, we usually have a dozen or more campers and a dozen or so staying at other hotels. So that easily gets you up to 80 or more folks; and thats about our usualy number.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:18 am 

BarryB wrote:
Also, there are absolutely NO hot-heads invited. If someone pisses you off, grow up and get over it. Do not create a disturbance of any kind: i.e. yelling, cussing, giving the finger, picking a fight, being abusive and or making a general ass of yourself no matter what the provocation or amount of booze consummed, etc.....Remember, you're representing all of us when it comes to the hotel, it's guest and visitors.

I'm sorry for last time but those Harley RUBs were a danger to everyone on the road! Next time I just throw eggs on them when I pass them. Lesson learned. :?

HA !!! :geek: That statement was around long before you came along Barry.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:48 pm 

Location: Barbados, a tiny island in the Caribbean 166 square miles
Just checked the DG M/C Resort website and this is what I've found

Pricing for Standard Rooms

Number of People Base Cost Tax
1 $59.00 Plus Tax
2 $59.00 Plus Tax
3 $69.00 Plus Tax
4 $79.00 Plus Tax
*MAX OF 4 (Four) GUESTS PER ROOM

Mind you this is with a bunk bed, and a queen size bed. Suppose 2 guys can share that bed if they don't might snuggling up together. :mrgreen: :D

Apartments have two sets of bunk beds and two full size futons.

Pricing for Apartment Rooms
Number of People Base Cost Tax
1 $79.00 Plus Tax
2 $79.00 Plus Tax
3 $89.00 Plus Tax
4 $99.00 Plus Tax
5 $109.00 Plus Tax
6 $119.00 Plus Tax
*MAX OF 6 (Six) GUESTS PER ROOM

"I tried to restrain myself, but I escaped." ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

We usually get some kind of break, and they don't do room checks, they do have to post requirments, or people would go crazy......

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:31 pm 

kx85 wrote:
Just checked the DG M/C Resort website and this is what I've found.......

Ja-Moo wrote:
We usually get some kind of break, and they don't do room checks, they do have to post requirments, or people would go crazy......

As I write in my treatise above.....I get a "No Charge" deal on the number of persons in the room. We pay the lowest rate listed on the hotel web site for each of the room types. It's been some years since I was able to get a cut-rate on the base price of the rooms. I try every year as I will this year. I usually sit down with the owner in early March.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:40 pm 

Thanks for all you do on this Ric. I'm hooked - had a blast in May, looking forward to 2012.

Lisa - you going to make it? You're closer than me!!!

bb