Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:48 pm 

My h2 upon disassembly had 4 base gaskets, the tops of the cylinders have been milled, and the piston skirts have been modified. The 4 base gaskets are leaking of course. So that being said could this thing have kicked butt ever? Do any of These mods resemble a particular performance package? The plan is to run one base gasket and see what happens? Maybe laser a base gasket out of alloy and run two base gaskets so it doesn't leak? I'm way overwhelmed. Will be interesting to see if these big carbs and wild porting work without the air leaks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

sawracer wrote:
My h2 upon disassembly had 4 base gaskets, the tops of the cylinders have been milled, and the piston skirts have been modified. The 4 base gaskets are leaking of course. So that being said could this thing have kicked butt ever? Do any of These mods resemble a particular performance package? The plan is to run one base gasket and see what happens? Maybe laser a base gasket out of alloy and run two base gaskets so it doesn't leak? I'm way overwhelmed. Will be interesting to see if these big carbs and wild porting work without the air leaks.

It sounds like a crappy lift kit, lift the cylinder for more port duration. done the wrong way. You might have trouble taking out the gaskets. You need to put in one gasket and then measure deck height, you don't want the pistons hitting the heads. You may have to use thicker head gaskets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:29 am 

A better solution to simply stacking the gaskets as was done in your case is to make an aluminium spacer plate of the correct thickness and put a gasket above and below it. Two gaskets would probably equal around 0.8-1.0mm, I think. But as always, measure accurately first.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 am 

Copper gaskets Unlimited will make the gaskets in different thickness's

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Saw, if that was my motor, I'd make a port map of the cylinders and compare them to stock to determine what, if anything, has been done to them. I would also measure squish clearance to see whether or not the heads would work with stock base gaskets. An alternative would be to ship them to someone experienced and have them determine what has, and needs, to be done.

The potential exist to have some disastrous results if it is run without a clear understanding of what you have.

Chances are that someone made a "lift kit" but you won't know until the above has been done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:02 pm 

That sounds like a good idea. I am going to go have a look see this afternoon and make some decisions. Thats what makes it interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:59 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:01 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:03 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:23 pm 

With the skirts cut that much, I expect you'll find the exhaust ports are not stock either. Transfers are a tossup.