Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:02 pm 

...up at the Loring land speed races. First pass - the bike always goes through a little aerodynamic "weave" at ~100 mph then steadies up. Just short of the one mile the revs increased briefly and I lost drive. (Something else happened as it also lost fire but I haven't determined what that is yet.) No visible damage to anything... I did grab the clutch pretty fast so I'm thinking the output shaft kept rotating. I coasted through the 1-mile lights at 125.xxx, the 1.5-mile lights at 75.xxx and rolled off at "short" shutdown (about 1/4 mile past the timing lights.)

I thought I had damaged something internally because of the sound but I lucked out I guess. I have no idea why I lost fire (I'm hoping it has something to do with the Zeel rev-limiter as I was pretty close to redline when this happened.) I'm especially thankful that it didn't lock up the rear wheel!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:07 pm 

Jeez Frank, I'm glad you're OK! Did you have the usual locking washer and Loctite on it? How did you do otherwise, any other race results? I know a guy on the Guzzi board who took an old Triumph there. I told him about you and wonder if you met him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:30 pm 

Jim, I had the washer (but didn't fold down an edge over the nut - DOH!) and red loctite. Somehow I spaced on that... won't happen again!

I didn't meet anyone on a Triumph but I only tech-ed a couple of bikes and didn't see everyone. I don't even remember a Triumph running but I'm at the timing stand at the one-mile mark most of the time so very well could have missed him. There were several old Nortons and the usual turbo-Busas, etc. Fast speed in the 1-mile was 243 I think. Another guy went 253-ish in 1.5 miles. The most impressive build (IMIHO) was Don Haas's new compound turbo bike (two massive turbos in series) running on methanol. They had trouble with their boost control, breaking loose multiple times at 200+ well before the one-mile mark. One of the lakesters broke something and spun off into the weeds traveling at a pretty good clip. Fastest car was 222-ish. More here if you're interested: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.p ... 248.0.html and lots of pics in the imbedded links.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:49 pm 

Thanks for the link, Frank, I'll check it out. Isn't is weird that forgetting to bend a washer could possibly be a fatal mistake? Sort of like forgetting to retract the side stand.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:06 pm 

A fairly common problem! Everybody who has spent much time on a H2 from the early days has managed that one. I used to change the front sprocket out between 13 to 17 teeth a lot, so we had a lot of practice doing it right, after the first "experience". It is timely advice, and a trap for young players! Interestingly, I can't recall anyone locking up a wheel, I am sure it can happen, it seems the sprocket just rides on the shaft, not that I want to try it again!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:45 pm 

RODH2 wrote:
A fairly common problem! Everybody who has spent much time on a H2 from the early days has managed that one. I used to change the front sprocket out between 13 to 17 teeth a lot, so we had a lot of practice doing it right, after the first "experience". It is timely advice, and a trap for young players! Interestingly, I can't recall anyone locking up a wheel, I am sure it can happen, it seems the sprocket just rides on the shaft, not that I want to try it again!!

I think rods right I have had it come loose BUT not fall off , thank god for Loctight , checked my rotaries and both there nuts were loose :wtf: , one has only done 4th mls we need to check them more often :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:57 am 

really common issue :mrgreen:
loctite is our friend 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:17 pm 

Had that happen on my hopped up street H2 decades ago while riding through Sonora, California. I walked back down the road, found the tab, nut, and hand screwed them back on, made it to a gas station and used their impact to tighten the nut. Got me home.

From then on, I bought a carbide drill bit, and added 4 holes to all the primary sprockets I ever used, and two slots in the nut, used Lock-Tight, bend over tab, and safety wired in two places, never happened again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:56 pm 

Forgot to congratulate Frank on going 125mph on a triple......how fast will it go with a functioning front sprocket? :think: