Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:16 pm 

Jim brought his GoPro camera with several mounting options, we shot every day and downloaded at night to watch with the Jambox connected via bluetooth to boost the sound. The highlight was some dynamite shots on the Blue Ridge parkway with Chuck mounting the camera on his downtube, showing the shocks and front wheel and the tunnels :shock: :shock: :shock: just too big to post. Will try to edit and post later on my Youtube channel. A favorite ride for everyone was the Robbinsville loop with 129 down to town, 143 over, and 28 return. The first part of 28 is outrageous with long sweeping curves and canopy tightening up as you reach the Fontana resort and then opening up again past the bridge :clap: :clap: :clap: For you regulars, you know this route well.

Below is link to a video of our final run from Fontana to the resort with Jim in the lead on the TZR followed by Dave the madman Canadian. We had a brief stop to let Jim tie his shoe and share some horn fodder :lol: . Behind us was Dale who crashed just after the bridge but was OK after trying to keep up with us (kinda knew he was in for trouble sporting that damn mohawk on his helmet - good kid but more concerned about looks than just driving to his skill level and having a good time). Although the bike was damaged, he was OK and learned alot about riding to your ability rather than trying to keep with the pack. That night, we all watched the crash video - will post it if I get his permission. I told him, we all go down at some time, you were very lucky. By sharing, you have made us all safer drivers - just let it go, get back on the horse and ride safe.

Blew two head gaskets on the S3 - was really ringing her neck, but she ran great the whole week. As you can see, she is happiest between 6-8K. Gotta agree with RB, the S3 is probably one of the funnest bikes up here, even stocked out without Jimco's :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ain't it always the same, just when you get familiar with the roads and are ripping in the zone, the week is over and you have to leave :thumbdown:

http://youtu.be/QLp6xXUNe-w

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:47 pm 

One of our favorite rides. You guys were holding nice lines and corner speeds. Straight away speeds held to just above posted speed limit. That is how I like to ride. I've never gotten cited for ridding like that.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:43 pm 

I was the first one to come across Dave(sp) after he crashed into the side of the mountain. I think he said his board name was "the other dave" but maybe it was Dale? Anyway, it was a bit un-nerving to be at full lean on the ZX10R and see a glimmer of red and white plastic piled up in the ditch out of your peripheral vision. Then as I went by, I was sure there was a body underneath that bike, not moving. Dang, please don't be dead, please don't be dead, over and over I said out loud. I pulled off and ran over to him, tossing my helmet. Thank God when I knocked on his visor he woke up and was ok! Miracle!
His RZ350 wasn't in too bad of shape either. Looked like cosmetic damage and a few controls were damaged. Lucky guy. He was in shock for a minute and it took a while for the adrenaline to wear off, but he was ok. I watched the video, and it looked like he panic braked and stood the bike up, going straight through the corner into the rock wall. Ouch. I think he was knocked out for about 20 seconds or so before I found him.

John

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:12 pm 

Dave had his bell rung for sure, lucky guy to walk away from that one. I don't even think he had a scratch on him. Another PSA for riding gear. Amazing.

But now picture yourself coming thorough the same corner and only seeing the back of your riding partners jacket hunched over in the ditch. Imagine what goes through your mind in those few seconds... Then, then as you are holding your line and complete the turn you see his bike on its side of the highway on its stand. Phewww

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:45 am 

I have had a rider go down in front of me each of the previous three years DG meets. I know what you mean by getting a little unnerved. This year I had a fear that I should not let anyone ride in front of me.
But I had something going on with my ears and sinus last week and my equilibrium was off causing me to slow my pace. Well Monday I was off to square away from last week as Sunday was a full day of church and Mothers Day. As I was working in the garage I suddenly got vertigo due to what I thought was an inner ear issue and it put me down completely. I nearly passed out, sweaty skin, nausea, labored breathing all the symptoms of a heart issue but no pain. I told my wife I think it was my inner ear but go ahead and get me an ambulance as I might be wrong. Well after a EKG, a chest X-Ray, a ct scan of my head, and blood work up I was was right it was an inner ear issue. The ER doctor was an high school mate of mine and he had Honda 90 then and we worked together as buss boys. When I went to my family doctor for a follow up she said I did the right thing as at my age if I'd came into her office with those symptoms first she would of sent me straight to the ER. My brother, my son Ben, and I all fly private planes and part of pilot training is learning about vertigo. If I'd been in control of a plane without an autopilot to engage I'd been in deep trouble.
Moral of this story is if something doesn't feel right it probably isn't.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:26 am 

evansje1 wrote:
I have had a rider go down in front of me each of the previous three years DG meets. I know what you mean by getting a little unnerved. This year I had a fear that I should not let anyone ride in front of me.
But I had something going on with my ears and sinus last week and my equilibrium was off causing me to slow my pace. Well Monday I was off to square away from last week as Sunday was a full day of church and Mothers Day. As I was working in the garage I suddenly got vertigo due to what I thought was an inner ear issue and it put me down completely

Dang John, I woke up with vertigo in the hotel room on the way down to the gap! Was afraid I wouldn't even be able to drive. Turned out that as long as I didn't tilt my head down it was "OK". By the end of the week it was almost completely gone.

Also, I watched Chuck crash in front of me on the way back from my very first ride of the week...