Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Just a reminder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:26 am 

Every day that has a "y" in it, Charlie Calamari will be cooking pizza for everyone. Any special requests or toppings needed post them here so Charlie can stock up.

My only request is to go light on the Salmonella flour. We don't want angone to get sick.

Post subject: Re: Just a reminder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:23 pm 

Wow, Charlie is really stepping up his game!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:18 pm 

so i dont have to hit the Ingles in Waynesville? sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:39 pm 

Cannoli demos too each night with tastings I heard as well…

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:43 pm 

I hope we have zeppoles with a couple of the dinners. Those are really good!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:27 pm 

I heard that he is bringing the Calamari family vintage 40 gallon mixer so that he can make fresh dough and pastries daily.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:13 pm 

I have heard that Charlie bought the Grill
And is converting it to a pizzeria

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:26 pm 

Sounds like Charlie is”living his best life!” as he has gone all out for the 25th Anniversary Meet.
With him being so busy, he won’t have time for the pyrotechnics or bullhorn..

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:56 pm 

You guys are funny... :lol: I actually don't have this website on my phone or facebook or whatever. I only have my work related emails for sports or the medical field.

All that being said, Yes, I'll probably bring a small mixer. Here's a story. Back in 1986 we (the family and I )bought out an old bakery in Dunedin Florida and opened Camerieri's Italian Bakery ( you can look it up). We had it for 9 years. I had 12 employees, 2 delivery trucks and a station wagon.

We made, from scratch, Italian breads, Kaiser rolls, onion rolls, poppy seed rolls, Hero's,( all sizes), French bread, whole wheat, Rye, Pumpernickel, Marble Rye, Challah bread, Sweet dough rolls and even 6 foot hero's. After 9 years and 7 days a week (including Christmas Eve), we sold the place....

Like I sad, 7 days a week for 9 years. We baked 6 days then actually got it down to 5 days a week. I also started making crumb cakes, Cannolis, Italian cookies and Lard bread. I even made bread for Frank Sinatra and handed it to him while on stage in concert....True story. I also made Lard bread for Cher when she came in concert in the 90's true story.

If you've even seen the movie Moonstruck with Nicholas Cage and Cher that bakery in Brooklyn was real I was there. My Godmother said it was probably one of our cousins. I was there last July and worked the oven for a few minutes.

As for equipment I had a 20 pan Fish 75 gas oven. I did all hearth baking (which means baking a the shelf of the oven using a Peel to take the bread out). Yes, it's an art that's slowly going away.

The oven had steam which gives the bread a nice crust. I hade 3 mixers. A 20 quart Hobart, a 140 quart Champion mixer and the big mixer I used everyday was a 1942 Peerless Barrel mixer that had a huge posi rear end connected by a big ass chain to spin the barrel which mixed the dough. This mixer was very dangerous and had No safety shut offs. There have been stories of guys who had they're arms pulled out of their sockets by the 3 mixing blades. I'll post a picture...it was a great mixer but ... :wtf:

A 50lb bag of flour make approx. 82 lbs of dough. The barrel mixer could mix 200 lbs of flour which mixed about 328 lbs of Italian dough which I scaled (weighed) all by hand on a 10ft long wooden Boos bench. I also had a dough sheeter and a rounder-divider which rounded the dough into 30 pieces. I used a 10x10 steam box to help the dough rise. From mixing to baking it would take about 3 hours.

All by hand. Some people use to say I had Asbestos hands. That place was always Hot, especially in the summer...go figure. The building was about 2000 square feet and we had a small retail up front. I did mostly commercial account close to 50 restaurants and deli's.
I even open up another small bakery in 2012 but only for 3 years. That's another story...

I'll see about bringing Cannoli cream but we will have Zeppole's on Pizza night.
You guys are the best and I always have the best time even if Mark doesn't like us New Yorkers... :lol:

I'll put something special in his pizza... :lol:

Safe travels you alll..or should I say...Y'all

Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 am 

Mark likes New Yorkers... well, maybe not but he did let me on his boat... probably had more to do with having the Dogs with us. lol.

Charlie, how about a half-dozen kaiser rolls? i'll buy em off you when i get there.