Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:05 pm 

Motorcycles are in the van, and the DT100 ready to go on the back. Now I'm packing. It's feeling real.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:24 pm 

Packing begins

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:28 pm 

Plans to bring three bikes changed. A new addition to the family courtesy of my friend Karl Jones is being delivered to the Gap.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:33 pm 

All that's left is packing my clothes and inside the house stuff. Everything in the truck bed is covered with 33 gallon trash bags due to the forecast. So far I like the new trailer. It is low to the ground and they loaded easy.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:00 pm 

I heard a clunk when I put the GMC in drive to put it up on the car-lift for the Pre-Gap check. The original 32 year old, 223K miles factory u-joints decided they were done. Unbeknownst to me Original GMC u-joints of that era have no retainer clips. They are held in with some kind of hard plastic that is poured into little holes in the yokes as a liquid and left to harden. I don't have torch enough to melt the plastic out of the yokes so I took the driveshaft to a local shop and they melted it out and changed them. The new ones I got from NAPA have a grease fitting and are held in with internal c-clips. Thank God I put the truck up on the lift to grease the suspension and check the differential. Both u-joints were on the way out. The front one had about 1/16th inch of slop in it and the rear one felt like it was full of gravel.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:51 pm 

Tim Steele wrote:
The new ones I got from NAPA have a grease fitting and are held in with internal c-clips.

Yes! I've been through this a few times too. I've made sure any replacements I've gotten have had grease fittings, and I grease them about once a year. About 20 or 25 years ago I took the '73 Dodge van to a transmission shop, and the owner expressed concern about all the grease splattered on the underside of the floor. I told him It's because I grease the U-joints yearly. He didn't seem to fully understand that they'll never fail if you keep them well greased, and will definitely fail in a few years if you don't.

Similarly I added a grease fitting to my H2's head tube around 1980, and the steering bearings are still original and in good shape.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:17 am 

Have a great time you guys!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:48 am 

Good catch and save!

Tim Steele wrote:
I heard a clunk when I put the GMC in drive to put it up on the car-lift for the Pre-Gap check. The original 32 year old, 223K miles factory u-joints decided they were done. Unbeknownst to me Original GMC u-joints of that era have no retainer clips. They are held in with some kind of hard plastic that is poured into little holes in the yokes as a liquid and left to harden. I don't have torch enough to melt the plastic out of the yokes so I took the driveshaft to a local shop and they melted it out and changed them. The new ones I got from NAPA have a grease fitting and are held in with internal c-clips. Thank God I put the truck up on the lift to grease the suspension and check the differential. Both u-joints were on the way out. The front one had about 1/16th inch of slop in it and the rear one felt like it was full of gravel.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:28 am 

wow thats a shitty design. sooo glad you caught it. I mean, is a clip that hard to put in? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:03 pm 

I guess it was cheaper. It lasted over 220K. A real PITA to get apart. They only charged me $75 to get the old ones out and install the new joints. Yep it would have failed and that would have been very bad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next