Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:39 am 

I just heard from Jud, the general manager. As of right now, he feels optimistic that they will be open for us in May. They will remain operational as much as they can until mandated to close.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:30 am 

That is promising news Chris. Thanks for the updates.

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:02 pm 

Thank you Chris.

You would think that motels in general would be OK, since they don't crowd people together the way restaurants do, for example.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:12 pm 

This doesn't look good, from Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/dale.wiggins.5 ... 2314874394
Dale Wiggins
Yesterday at 11:42 AM · Public

As a result of the countywide declaration of emergency Graham County Government has established an Emergency Mangement Committee. This committee has met this morning and the following decisions have been made and will be put into play over the coming days.
A) Effective Monday, March 23,2020 all accomodation businesses shall close for business at 12:00 noon. Accomodations defined are hotels, motels, cabins, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, or any public rental facility that typically rents for less than one month.
B) By Friday, March 27, 2020 the following highways will be closed or have restricted access. 1) Cherohala Skyway will be closed to all traffic 2) Highways US 129 and NC 28 at Deals Gap will be restricted to local resident traffic and commercial traffic 3) US 129 at Topton will be restricted to pass through detour traffic, commercial traffic, and local resident traffic only. Once the US 74 detour is ended then US 129 will be restricted to local traffic and commercial traffic only. 4) NC Highway 28 going east from Stecoah will be restricted to local and detour traffic only and commercial traffic. Once the detour is ended NC 28 will be restricted to local and commercial traffic only. Persons travelling these highways should be prepared to show a Graham County address or proof of property ownership for non-residents to be able to enter Graham County.
We understand that this decision will impact a lot of people. It wlll cause people to be temporarily laid off from work. We will post information on how to file for unemployment benefits on the Graham County website. We accept that these are drastic steps to some degree but we have to do what is necessary to keep people safe. The President of the United States has asked everyone to stay home and eliminate unneccessary travel. We support that decision.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:56 pm 

That doesn’t look good at all and the only question of how long those restrictions will last is most likely one they can’t answer.

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:49 pm 

Right. I can't worry about it. If the place is open I'll be there. If it's closed I'll be there later when it's open. I hear fall is really nice there. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:50 pm 

DGMR is in Swain County, not Graham, for those who may not know. I agree, it doesn’t look good but I’m not giving up hope yet!

A bigger concern than covid 19 is Jim quoting Facebook!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:26 pm 

Chris wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:47 pm 

Respectfully.....let's all keep the faith and hopefully we'll all be there in May. If for some reason we can't go because the hotel is not open, we can always get together in the near future. You guys get a date and we'll be there.

By the way, I already have all the ingredients to make the pizzas. (No, I don't deliver... :lol: )

What else can we all do in May?

Stay well and watch The Honeymooners......bang! zoom! how'dya like to go to the moon Alice!...

Charlie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:47 pm 

Chris wrote:
DGMR is in Swain County, not Graham, for those who may not know. I agree, it doesn’t look good but I’m not giving up hope yet!

Ha... a friend called and told me about the closures so I did an Internet search and that came up. I found it odd that FB was a medium chosen for that announcement.

This is the really bad part from my point of view: " 2) Highways US 129 and NC 28 at Deals Gap will be restricted to local resident traffic and commercial traffic."