Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 pm 

I'm packing the MP15 tomorrow Evans.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:43 pm 

Bringing mine too Jim! Thanks for the recommendation and play test. I plan to sell my Fender Blues Jr as the MP15 is superior!

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:40 pm 

I'm glad you decided to bring it. You may find the Hondo I'm bringing interesting. I hope we can find a little time to jam. Is the finger back to normal?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:53 am 
Site Admin

Evans Ward wrote:
Like Buddy, I’d like a good recap here on this thread of the history and how it started. 2007 was my first year attending.

I can't provide dates but here is the jest of it....
Back many years ago Tom Loftis started a message board dedicated to Kawasaki Triple interest. At the time there was very little internet activity and very scarce information about Triples available. As time passed that board evolved into Kawasakitriplesworldwide, still maintained by Tom with the help of Jeff Gootblatt.
Tom lived in Knoxville, TN and became familiar with Deals Gap and the Dragon from his close proximity to it. He suggested that it might be a good place for those who regularly posted on the message board to meet face to face at Deals Gap and enjoy the area as it was a good venue for motorcycle enthusiasts. There were a few who decided to meet and a good time was had by all those who attended.
From that first meet the word spread on the message board and each year more and more people decided to join in to a point where the entire facility at Deals Gap Resort was booked exclusively for members that chose to attend. Prior to exclusive booking there were some resort visitors that complained about all the two-stroke smoke and noise.... exclusive booking took care of that problem.
I can't provide details of those who were the first to attend or the dates involved. When it first started there were not many places to find food and beverage and the traffic wasn't near what it is today. There was no restaurant at the resort as it was only a gift shop and gas pumps.
Maybe Jeff, or someone else, can provide more detail.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:54 am 

Thanks Dale! Hope to see you there in a few days. :wave:

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:34 am 

Not to take away from Deals Gap but it was an inspiration.
I was an early subscriber on Tomcats board and remember the discussion for a "east cost triples meet" which turned out to be Deals Gap in 1999. The following discussion on kawasakitriplesworldwide (TC's board) was amazing and sounded like a blast. Unfortunately living on the west coast it was just to far for me and others.

Wanting to do a triples meet on the west coast Tom Browne and I organized a meet at Sears Point raceway in 2000 to coincide with the AMA vintage motorcycle days - the AMA even gave us a booth. (I have the banner in my garage today).

Like Dale says back then the interest in Kawi triples was not like it is today but we had a cult following. I remember people coming to the booth and seeing all the triples. Funny how the stories then are the same today "I had one of them, wish I still did" "those things are fast" "I remember doing a 90mph wheelie". The last one still cracks me up.

First to show up was John Aylor, I picked him up at the airport and he stayed at my house and we loaded a trailer and drove to Sears Point the next day.
Below: First to arrive Friday morning L-R Mike Browne, Thom Landon, Danny, John Aylor and Barry Boulier

Here's a link to the website.
http://boulier.com/kawi_2.htm

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:15 pm 

Evans Ward wrote:
Thanks Dale! Hope to see you there in a few days. :wave:

+ 1. Thanks Dale. My first time there was by accident. I was riding with a VJMC group and just happened to be there at the same time as the meet. I thought I was the cool kid on the block with my 72 H2. Got over there and saw about 6 72's just like mine. :) Seems like that was in 2003.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:21 pm 

Good info too. Thanks for the history lesson Barry. I remember when triples used to dominate the meet, now we have the diversity that everyone is always talking about.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:00 pm 

m in sc wrote:
totally controlled.... :D :wave:

https://youtu.be/LX60HmrUJKQ

I forgot just how well that worked out.
Video is killer.
I do remember we were laughing like a bunch of lttle girls in the hotel parking lot.

What year did you guys rebuild Pete's H1 one in a room?
I started the year after that and I have this vague memory that my first year was the 7th year anniversary?
I remember the year Tom showed up with his big piped H2 that was pretty fast going up the hill on one wheel; really fast...
Was that a Mad Dog motor?
Maybe early Darren Abrams?