Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:43 pm 

did last shakedown run on G3. need to add midnight run light and put flywheel weight back on but otherwise seems ok.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:06 pm 

I got the three into one pipes done and the reeded 500 top end on. Tomorrow I'll get the UHMW Polyethylene chain rubbing block made and installed. Then I can start getting the trailer ready to take the two bikes that won't fit in the van. Like I say, you never work as hard as you do getting ready for a vacation!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:34 am 

will hate you again :mrgreen:
will coming one year but not before am retired 8-)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:16 am 

My RD400 holed the right piston!! :banghead Arrrgggg, guessing a crank seal. Jumping through my rear to swap a good bottom into the frame and luckly I have a set of fresh cylinders and pistons ready to go. Been working on it the last two days and hope to have it running tomorrow! I also have to put new front break pads in the PC800, dont trust the old ones to handle the trailer for the whole trip. :crazy:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:34 am 

Jim wrote:
I got the three into one pipes done and the reeded 500 top end on. Tomorrow I'll get the UHMW Polyethylene chain rubbing block made and installed.

I picked up a big block of that stuff to do exactly what I'm guessing you're going to do with yours.... :lol:

p.s. I've seen pics of the exhaust and it made me happy. Would be happier if I knew it was being ridden in anger.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:12 pm 

The idler wouldn't fit with the pipes, so I had to do something smaller. Glad you like the exhaust. I tried to make it go along with the theme.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:14 pm 

simple, yet effective. Pretty close to what I did... or almost did.

I took a 2 1/8" hole saw and cut a "plug" out of the chunk of 2" thick billet uhmw.
I then drilled a hole the size of that lower frame tube in the center of it. End result is that it looked like a donut or skateboard wheel. Finally split it down the middle with the bandsaw and tapped and threaded just as you did. That stuff machines weird, doesn't it?

I figured by making it out of round stock, one could rotate and re-tighten as it was showing wear. But from what I understand, it takes a million miles to wear uhmw out in that application once the outer chain links find their new "bedded-in" home.

in case you're wondering.... "why didn't the bike already have the uhmw slider fitted???"

The stuff I used was WHITE and looked SOOPERSTOOPID as it stuck out like a sore thumb. You don't even notice the black......

more pics please. I'm suffering from "bike project withdrawl". :cry:

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:27 pm 

I'll post photos or send them to you after the meet. I sorta want to get the first reactions in person. The rubbing block I made is symmetrical, so it can be turned over if the top gets worn. I thought flat surfaces might wear better than a curved one, and should be quieter, but I'm very sure yours would have worked fine.

Yes, it machined in a very unusual, chewy way. When I drilled the holes, once the bit got about 1.5 inches in, it sucked the block out of the milling vise, and I had to reverse the spindle to get it off. I finished the drilling by keeping the hole water cooled and it worked better. Sanding was really strange. I tried a used but not worn out sanding belt to make the curved lead-ins, and the plastic just sat there with the belt sliding over it. Sanding steel probably would have gone faster. I put a new belt on, and it behaved more normally, but you can see what the sanded surface looks like, with little hairs of plastic on the surface. I expected the stuff to be more expensive, but it was a little cheaper than Nylon.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:50 pm 

Will the bike be running/finished at the Gap?

It'll be nice to close out the "build thread" on it. :P

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:51 pm 

I won't have time to actually start it before I pack it up, but I don't see why it shouldn't run. The airbox should be meeting it there. The carbs are sitting about 1/2" farther from the engine now, so I hope that doesn't throw a wrench in the works.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next