Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:24 am 

Monday, May 4th left work in Addison, IL about a quarter to 10, was having fun, making good time. Riding South on IL-52 just past Manhattan, IL the bike starting acting like it was bogging. I was able to grab the clutch a couple times and rev back up, but as soon as it was released, bog down. Then it died. Nothing I did on the side of the road could get it to fire.

I was near the Manhattan Fire Department building, so I pushed the bike into their parking lot and busted out the tools. Plug looked good, but no spark when kicking over. Pulled the flywheel cover, adjust the breaker points. Spark, but it seems off. Bike kinda runs, badly. Play with breaker points some more and notice that the pin that holds the heel in place is rather loose. After an hour of trying I give up, look up motorcycle shops and begin pushing to the nearest one, 12 miles away.

Yeah, most would think it's pretty stupid to push a bike 12 miles, but I'm still fairly fit, prepped for the trip my bike is still under 250 lbs and rolls fairly well in neutral, it's cheap and maybe somebody with a pickup or trailer will take pity on me. I did have a couple people stop, but they were unable to provide transport. It was a nice day for a walk and the bike didn't slow my normal walking gate much, plus I could ride it/hobby horse it on the downhills.

Several hours later I arrived at Motorcycle Medic in New Lenox. I explained my problem and received, comments about how backed up he is and that he should be wrenching instead of talking to me. Nice. I also got to hear the guy's curse laden complaints to another customer about his suppliers. I don't know if the guy was having a bad day or what, but I chose to not support his business and called in my rescue transport to take me home.

I then called up BBK in Elgin and ordered a replacement breaker assembly. Michelle treated me as well on the phone, as she does in person, letting me know the part should be in on Friday and for a price that the online shops can't beat after shipping is added in.

At this point I really wanted to cool off with a beverage and maybe ice cream. I had past a restaurant called Cozy Cafe not to far back so I decided to push the bike back there. My body wasn't fully for that idea, but I persisted, only to find they closed a couple hours earlier. Next stop, Jewel-Osco. Grabbed me a big bottle of V8 Splash Tropical and chilled for a bit. First sitting in display patio chair inside the store, where I had pleasant conversations with a couple employees and a manager, then sitting in another display chair outside. Having almost fallen asleep in the chair outside, I pushed the bike to the grass at the South end of their parking lot, put my hoodie back on, unloaded my backpack to use as a pillow and laid down on the grass beside my bike.

Sometime later I heard a vehicle nearby and a couple short happy horn toots of my wife arriving in the van. I pulled the hitch rack out of the back, mounted it and loaded the bike, while she ran into the store for a bit. Loaded up, we started for home while looking for a place to eat dinner. Ended up at a place called Nick's BBQ, food was OK and priced for its quality, portions were decent. The drive home was uneventful, backed the van into the drive, cleaned myself up a bit, then went to bed.

:banghead

I've already tagged the meet in my calendar for the first week of May next year. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:30 am 

Amazing story, and sorry things didn't go well. So you didn't buy two sets of points so you can carry a spare?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:29 pm 

sorry you missed the meet aaron.. 2016 here it comes!!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:07 pm 

If my diagnosis is correct and the bike runs with the new parts, spares will be acquired.

I didn't know the breaker assembly and condenser were considered normal tune up items. They were the 35 year old stock pieces with over 10k miles on them. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:32 am 

I was riding a Yamaha a 100 all week and as much fun as it was, the thought of riding it there from Illinois is not really pleasant to me. You have a lot of gumption to take on that trip. Hope to see you next time.

Lane

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:31 pm 

Last year I made it all the way to the gap before the 35 year old ignition wire shorted out in the rain. The ride to get there was actually pretty decent, could have done without getting rear ended, but the bike and I came away from that with minimal damage. We didn't figure out the ignition short until it was too late for me to ride back home, so my wife drove the van down for the expressway trip home.

I've got some other big rides bouncing around in my head, possibly seeing the Pacific.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:06 pm 

ihatemybike wrote:
look up motorcycle shops and begin pushing to the nearest one, 12 miles away.

:shock:
:clap: . :clap: . :clap:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:02 pm 

keep at it Aaron. :thumbup: we did keep waiting for you to show up this year.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:16 am 

Hmmm

Installed my new ignition pieces yesterday, still doesn't like to run.

Seems I should have rode around locally and checked my plug more often after installing the Mikuni carb. Judging by the condition of the piston it was running lean, cause it got a little melty on the front edge. Jug appears to have a little bit of aluminum on it and some scoring that I can't feel with skin, but can with my fingernail. I'll be stopping by my local speed shop to see if a quick hone will save it, as it's not something I have experience with. Hopefully a hone, a piston kit, a head gasket kit and some carb tuning will get it back on the road quickly. Supposed to ride the Mississippi Palisades in three weeks.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:42 am 

you may have stuck the top ring losing compression if it got that hot.