Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:18 pm 

Not really sure if a laser has adjustment to cut something that wasn't laying flat on table surface, and from what I've seen, the nozzle sits pretty close to the cut.
I think you'd have to remove the hub first if you wanted to cut the original on a laser or waterjet.
Another problem is how accurate a laser could pickup the center of a disk? Usually you cut the whole profile so part placement isn't so critical.
Also, it appears the cut does go all the way through the disk and only partially through the carrier.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:22 pm 

it can be done easily by a competent operator. lay the disc outside down and its good. it can be cut very tight, especially with a laser. w/j is good w/a dynamic head.

Quote:
and only partially through the carrier.

thats my point, i wouldnt cut it there. Id increase the cuts elsewhere.
the pic witht he red oval waas a bad attempt at explaining that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

I lost a reply....... :roll:

There are a million ways to do it. I just did it the way I did because, I didn't want to jump through hoops looking for a aftermarket disc that would be "close" and the de-rerivit and all that other stuff. And back then, aftermarket discs were a lot more $$$$. I just wanted to get rid of all the weight I could, so this is just what I did.

And steel pretty much weighs all the same, no matter the formula (to) Jim C...........

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:47 pm 

If you're laser cutting, you might as well get as fancy as you like with the pattern, since the cost will not be very different, at least from the shop I use.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

I think to waterjet it would be easy to do it this way. Remove the two sections just leaving a thin band for strength. Get rid of a lot of unused steel.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:15 pm 

From what I have seen come out of the waterjet at my work, which may be the machine and/or the operator, programer the results are less than stellar when it comes to precision. IMHO, they are good for +/- .005" at best, can cut on a kerf, don't leave a very nice finished cut edge, leave a very nasty burr that has to be delt with, and if the surface is not protected you can get the sand blasted finish from the cutting grit. They have there place, but I would not put one of my brake rotors on one, or cut any other part on one that has to be precise that you don't plan on machining to finished size.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:24 pm 

Jim wrote:
I just looked at three H2 disks, and they all appear to be the same, with three rivets lining up with three bolt holes, but I didn't measure to see how accurate that is.

I was only wondering, since I know on the front hub that came on my h1 the disc mounting holes are not the same(inline) with each other from side to side. No big deal with a single disc or dual stockers, but if one had 2 of these modded discs on the front it would drive me nuts not seeing the cut outs the same from side to side. Yeah I know OCD :crazy: .

If doing on a laser, I don't think it would be a problem if the mounting holes lined up with the rivits or not since each one would have to be setup individualy(at least I think). If I were going to machine these on a cnc mill, I would probably setup a block in the vice with the rotor bolt hole pattern. If the rotors are all the same you would only have to really setup the first rotor, the rest would then just be bolting them to the plate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:31 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
And steel pretty much weighs all the same, no matter the formula (to) Jim C...........

Yes
Thinking about a material that is very strong so it can be thin, strong, and heat resistant but not horribly expensive to purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:45 pm 

.005 is pretty good for a rotor hole. I mean really. take a good look at a stock one. :lol: i agree, secondary finishing operation should be done, as in surface grinding. but i figured that would be done anyway. regardless, laser would be preferred but not nec.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:10 pm 

Yes, you are correct Mark, for a rotor hole it is acceptable. Just the performance that I have witnessed first hand from a flow jet, the results are not really that impressive. Like I said though, it could just be the machine they have at work and/or the the operator/programmer. From what I have seen from a laser though, within its cuting capability the flow jet is no match for a laser it terms of accuracy, speed and finished product. When you get into thicker materials is where I belive the flow jets start to beat out the competition.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next