Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H2 Frame With Title
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:38 am 

Ok, hear me out. I'm trying to make a sale right.

Awhile back, I purchased a '72 H2 as a project. After life circumstances changed, I needed to sell the bike. I listed it, and sold it to a gentleman in Ohio. Since it was not roadworthy, I had not registered the bike in my name. Once the buyer sent a deposit, I took the title for the bike to the DMV and transferred it to my name from the person I bought it from.

In the meantime, I shipped the entirety of the bike to Ohio.

When I received the title about a month later, I boxed it up with some parts that I forgot and sent it to Ohio.

A few months after that, I get a message that he had attempted to have the bike inspected and registered in Ohio, only to realize that the title did not match the frame. It matched the motor. Since the title doesn't match the frame and I didn't realize it before I sold it, I'm trying to help make this right.

We have three options: 1: bring the frame and engine cases back to NC and have them inspected by my license and theft bureau, and an inoperable title issued. This might not be any good at all in Ohio. We're figuring that out now.

2: Assemble the bike to relatively complete, bring the whole bike back to NC, have it inspected, and a normal NC title issued that can then be used to register the bike in Ohio.

3: Find a '72-73 frame with a title, buy it, and eat the cost.

Obviously, all three of these options are going to be relatively expensive. The easiest route for both of us is to find a titled (not Bill of Sale) frame and have that inspected/registered in Ohio.

So, if anyone has a (preferably 72, later years considered) frame with a title that matches it, please get in touch with me. I'd like very much to buy it and make life easier on both of us.

Post subject: Re: H2 Frame With Title
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:48 pm 

I'll chime in - went through this personally.

Wrecked a few frames (and engines) over the years on my H2. My original Calif "pink slip" used the original frame and when I bought it in 1978. Never gave it a thought.

Fast forward and I moved to Colorado and the frame did not match my original calif pink-slip title.

Massive hoops here to get inspected, researched by the state patrol and then post a surety bond. I actually tried that route but kept being turned away for stupid things like pictures not the correct angle etc....

I'm not saying do this - but what he can do because the stamped numbers are not perfect (wink wink) is weld-fill the old vin, grind it smooth, re-stamp and powder coat / paint......... Problem solved.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:35 pm 

BarryB wrote:
I'll chime in - went through this personally.

Wrecked a few frames (and engines) over the years on my H2. My original Calif "pink slip" used the original frame and when I bought it in 1978. Never gave it a thought.

Fast forward and I moved to Colorado and the frame did not match my original calif pink-slip title.

Massive hoops here to get inspected, researched by the state patrol and then post a surety bond. I actually tried that route but kept being turned away for stupid things like pictures not the correct angle etc....

I'm not saying do this - but what he can do because the stamped numbers are not perfect (wink wink) is weld-fill the old vin, grind it smooth, re-stamp and powder coat / paint......... Problem solved.

And then order a headstock decal from RB.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:11 am 

do the Vermont registration deal

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:05 am 

I used Vermont to register a RGV250, was a easy process. Bikes over 500cc need to be vin inspected there so not sure how that works for someone out of
state. You could call there DMV and ask.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 am 

I have presented all these options with the offer to cover some/all of the involved cost. Allegedly, Ohio has no vin inspection/title issuing process at all. I find that a little hard to believe, but I don't live in Ohio and can't do the work for him. Vermont is an option, but the buyer doesn't seem willing to go that route.

I've done the inspection/surety bond in NC before, but I haven't heard back from the buyer about if he wants to get parts back here for me to do that or not.

I try to be a decent seller, and this was a HUGE oversight on primarily my part. The buyer hasn't returned recent texts, so idk if he's decided to go a different route or what, but I'm going to keep this thread open on the off chance someone has a titled frame that would make this process way easier.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 am 

I just called the Ohio BMW Title Department directly instead of a local office. They told me that the buyer needs to contact his local Highway Patrol Salvage Inspection Facility for a Vin identity inspection, then a title can be issued. Hopefully that's the end of it. We'll see I guess.