Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1974 h2 denco road racer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:42 pm 

So I have this other project that I can't quite figure out... It has all matching denco heads and matching cylinders along with 34mm gp's and chrome Denco chambers, the motor is painted black and next to the engine number is stamped B947 the frame headstock is also stamped B947... Any thoughts? It has read Titan rear sets and koni shocks dual disk front single disk rear... Previous owner bought it from the guy who road raced it but can't remember his name. Any help would be great!
Thx

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:43 pm 

Whoops I meant to post this in general chat...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:46 pm 

More pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:48 pm 

More pics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:43 pm 

More pics, if anyone can move this thread to the general section that might work better.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:48 pm 

Were there any special Denco kawis that would have a special number assigned to the frame and engine cases?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:25 pm 

I know nothing about that bike, but it looks pretty cool and if you're so inclined, it would be interesting to keep that in/restore to original configuration. Those also appear to be H2 J&R chambers possibly with J&R headpipes too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 pm 

Firstly, those are not denco chambers. They look to be J&R

The denco stamp on the heads looks legit. The fact that the TOP of the cylinders have the denco stamp (and serial numbers) is weird though. The cylinder stamp is usually found beneath the exhaust port.

As to the engine case numbers?....someone ground down the original numbers and stamped in their own.

No idea what the extra headstock numbers and case numbers mean.

What I think you have are a set of Denco modified cyls/heads and 34mm carbs. The rest is typical "tom-foolery"....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:40 pm 

scrambler73 wrote:
Firstly, those are not denco chambers. They look to be J&R

The denco stamp on the heads looks legit. The fact that the TOP of the cylinders have the denco stamp (and serial numbers) is weird though. The cylinder stamp is usually found beneath the exhaust port.

As to the engine case numbers?....someone ground down the original numbers and stamped in their own.

No idea what the extra headstock numbers and case numbers mean.

What I think you have are a set of Denco modified cyls/heads and 34mm carbs. The rest is typical "tom-foolery"....

Nobody ground down the original numbers, they are clear as day in the right place but there is an additional number next to it pictured you have to look close. This was used as a road racer, I'm sure there is more to the numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:15 pm 

triplefan wrote:

Nobody ground down the original numbers, they are clear as day in the right place but there is an additional number next to it pictured you have to look close. This was used as a road racer, I'm sure there is more to the numbers.

After the "H2E", there are 5 digits that follow.

There were only 48,xxx H2's built, so to have a number in the 60,xxx, would indicate either the 1st number was ground down and re-stamped with a "6", or the entire pad was carefully ground down, re-profiled (to have a radius that matches original on the edges) and stamped with all new numbers.

OR, it was a factory set of replacement cases that were stamped with the 60,xxx number.

I've spoken with Tony Nicosia on a number of occasions and have asked him dozens of questions in regards to the history of Denco, and never was a Denco road-race bike mentioned aside from Art Baumann on a CR90-like bike briefly.

I've bought a number of H1 and H2 roadrace bikes over the years and they all had weird crap on them.

See if you can chase down the original bike builder/racer to provide some answers to the numbers. I've had pretty good experiences finding guys from 30-40 years back that originally built a bike I now own.

Can you measure the ports to give a clue as to the "spec" your cylinders are?