Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:38 am 

Dayle, you sold me that kit while I was trying to buy your business from you. You were pushing me to send you the better part of $10,000 dollars, and since I had never seen any of your products first hand, I asked to see what I would be getting for that money. It took me about two weeks of asking to get you to agree to sell me that kit, with you pushing hard to try to hurry me up all the while. Before the kit arrived, you decided that I was taking too long to make my decision, and told me you were no longer willing to sell to me, but instead sold part of the business to someone in Europe. You added that the only reason you even considered selling to me was as a favor to Mraxl.

I assembled the kit and was not happy with its performance. It triggered as the magnet protrusion on the rotor approached the pickup, rather than as it starts to leave, making the unit very advanced compared to stock systems, and therefore requiring some effort to get the timing set. On top of that, I measured 6 degrees of advance from idle to 4,000 rpm, and 3 additional degrees of advance from 4,000 to 7,000 rpm. I don't know if the kit you sent me was of the type you're currently selling or not, but its performance was not acceptable to me.

So I spent many hours designing a circuit that does what I felt was needed. That is to fire when the timing marks align, just as the magnet projection leaves the pickup, and to have an advance curve like a stock CDI system, which is essentially flat. Like most 12V DC powered CDI circuits, I'm using a simple inverter to make high voltage DC from 12V and charge a capacitor, and an SCR based firing circuit that dumps that charge into the coil at the right time. My transformer does not have, or need the air gap that you told me yours has, and the firing circuit has nothing in common with yours, other than it uses SCRs. Anyone with both units and a timing light can see the differences, so to accuse me of copying your design without having run my unit is inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:59 am 

Jim wrote:
Dayle, you sold me that kit while I was trying to buy your business from you. You were pushing me to send you the better part of $10,000 dollars, and since I had never seen any of your products first hand, I asked to see what I would be getting for that money. It took me about two weeks of asking to get you to agree to sell me that kit, with you pushing hard to try to hurry me up all the while. Before the kit arrived, you decided that I was taking too long to make my decision, and told me you were no longer willing to sell to me, but instead sold part of the business to someone in Europe. You added that the only reason you even considered selling to me was as a favor to Mraxl.

I assembled the kit and was not happy with its performance. It triggered as the magnet protrusion on the rotor approached the pickup, rather than as it starts to leave, making the unit very advanced compared to stock systems, and therefore requiring some effort to get the timing set. On top of that, I measured 6 degrees of advance from idle to 4,000 rpm, and 3 additional degrees of advance from 4,000 to 7,000 rpm. I don't know if the kit you sent me was of the type you're currently selling or not, but its performance was not acceptable to me.

So I spent many hours designing a circuit that does what I felt was needed. That is to fire when the timing marks align, just as the magnet projection leaves the pickup, and to have an advance curve like a stock CDI system, which is essentially flat. Like most 12V DC powered circuits, I'm using a simple inverter to make high voltage DC from 12V and charge a capacitor, and a firing circuit that dumps that charge into the coil at the right time. My transformer does not have, or need the air gap that you told me yours has, and the firing circuit has nothing in common with yours, other than it uses SCRs. Anyone with both units and a timing light can see the differences, so to accuse me of copying your design without having run my unit is inappropriate.

Jim, I think you protesteth too much. The $10000 was for the component costs to start you in business if you wanted to take it on. This represented the parts I had in stock... I was not going to give them away for free, like im nice, but not that nice. As I explained to you, they would be no good to me if you decided to copy my units as Lakeland units, and the requirement was for you to take these from me before sourcing your own. Yes, I was reluctant to sell you a kit, the reason being I had not all the correct components to complete that unit and sent substitutes that I warned you i did not normally use. Any testing problems were likely caused by this. I am happy you are up and running, but man, chill out a little. Id be keen to have a look at your "improved" circuit design though, I may learn something in light of all the free info I sent you. And yes, it was Mraxl that contacted you re making the Starfire products,... and because of that did agree to discuss this with you.... was that also a problem?
The rush was simply I had not the time to diddle around waiting for you to make up your mind, I had other offers. i think you are hiding something here. Show me your circuit Jim, that will settle it for both of us.