Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:52 pm 

FYI, I have an exceptional H2 crank for an outright sale. This was a virgin crank. I rebuilt it with K&S rubber seals, Koyo bearings and new Maco slotted connecting rod kits including the small end bearings. It has the oil receivers on it. The right collar and o-ring are installed. It is true to under .0005". The forum price is $945 ($150 core plus $795 rebuild) which includes the shipping in the great 48. If interested you can pm me or preferably email me at triplecranks@aol.com.

**SOLD**

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

Last edited by triple cranks on Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:05 am 

I have some very exciting news! It has been hard keeping this quiet for so long. This has been in the works for quite some time. I am finally happy to announce aftermarket H2 crankshafts are available for purchase!

The company producing these are Vintco. They are slotted rod cranks with the Vintco connecting rods and silver coated big end bearings. The crankshafts are quite a step up in quality from the original. The entire crank is hardened steel. The bearings made by TPI are as close to the quality of Koyo bearings as you can get. The seals are K&S replicas and appear to be of equal quality as well.

The crankshafts are being manufactured in Taiwan to Vintco specifications. There are two versions available. One is built to the same physical specs as the stock Kawasaki crankshaft and the other is a bit more robust with 18 mm pins. The cost of the crankshafts are $1099 and $1199 respectively. I am offering these with free shipping.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:07 am 
Site Admin

How cool is that! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:40 pm 

Have you seen one in person? Someone with machinist skills needs to check the runout and other measurements on these. I bet they are nice but really for that money need to be checked first. If they are good, why would someone go to the trouble of rebuilding one then? I am just surprised that someone has put out the effort into an expensive part that has very limited consumer numbers. That being said, I would buy one if it can be verified that they aren't junk.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:20 pm 

This is a copy of what I posted on the other forum.

“ You have no idea how much of an honor it was, not to mention a humbling experience, to have the owner of Vintco contact me and send me the only prototype for disassembly inspection and evaluation. That was really cool!

There were some very minor issues that were of a concern to me and the owner promptly addressed everyone of them and was extremely open minded during the process. Hopefully I’ll be taking a trip down to Taiwan in the spring to get a firsthand look at the manufacturing and assembly process.

I know in a way I’m cutting my own throat with these but in the end the whole idea is to have the best part made available to the enthusiast.

If this takes off there is more than likely many other items that will be made available to the triple community. I’ll just leave it at that LOL.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:50 pm 

I can attest to the strength of those new crank flywheels. One manufacturer's snowmobile cranks are manufactured with those treated flywheels, they are extremely strong, and take a good bit more effort to take apart to rebuild, and get them realigned. Sounds like these new cranks are exactly what we really wanted way back when we were road racing them, decades ago.

Regarding the silver plated parts, H1R and H2R crank rod bearing races, and thrust washers were silver plated, to help reduce/eliminating seizing between unlike metals. Yamaha does this to their street connecting rod kits, and race stuff as well, works great. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:21 pm 

Apparently the silver plating is there to melt and lubricate the parts if the temperature gets too high. That’s kind of the way it was explained to me. It is sort of a safeguard to keep from completely destroying a motor and hopefully find the cause of the failure before the damage is catastrophic.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:30 pm 

Silver plate slides better than the original coating, especially with leaner oil ratios, which retards the possibility of seizing unalike parts. Only issues we ever saw with them was the usual, cracking of the under metals, and complete part failure from wear away from the silver plating, like detonation flatting of the rod pin, rod roller bearings, rod big ends.

It is good stuff, well worth using in any engine crankshaft.

It even works with useless synthetic "oils" some insist on using in their two stroke engines.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:53 am 
Site Admin

H-nube wrote:
Have you seen one in person? Someone with machinist skills needs to check the runout and other measurements on these. I bet they are nice but really for that money need to be checked first. If they are good, why would someone go to the trouble of rebuilding one then? I am just surprised that someone has put out the effort into an expensive part that has very limited consumer numbers. That being said, I would buy one if it can be verified that they aren't junk.

Taiwan has been manufacturing very high quality stuff for many decades. Unlike China...... The small Kawasaki Ninjas are built there, as is the Grizzly machine tools.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 pm 

I have received a question about the Vintco crankshafts I thought I would share. I do not have the cranks drop shipped. I have them shipped to me for inspection and final truing before they go out.

Although they are well within specs, generally under .002”, I like to see them closer to .0005” or better. I also like to give them a thorough visual inspection before they go out.

Also, with the new crankshaft, if you send a decent core, I can knock off $100 from the cost.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next