Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:15 am 

Wow, she's purdy. Exception attention to detail.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:24 pm 

Beautiful motorcycle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:52 pm 

WOW! Thanks for the replies men! I recognized all the names that did and I'm sure you all played a part in bringing me up to speed at some point. The weekend was chaotic with a 12 hour work day on Saturday. Up late that night doing last minute details before the Concours event on Sunday. I arrived at the meet just after 8:00 am and rode to my spot on the lawn. 136 motorcycles in total, I was placed in Japanese 69-89 with 16 others. As the morning progressed and I looked at my competition, I was glad I had read such positive comments here the night before. I felt great about that, but not with my chances at this meet. A few said since I rode it in, I should have entered the "Street" class, but whatever, I had entered in Concours two months back. My neighbor and my wife tried to cheer me up with the fact that it's still a great looking bike and I ride it all the time. I'm happy with it and that's most important. (I really wanted a trophy though!)

The judging was odd to me. Several judges came, did a few bikes next to mine, in no apparent order and moved on passing me by. A second group of two, did the same, one or two near me, then walked on. Finally, a lone judge came, took my paperwork and proceeded to judge it. I guess they use those that are familiar with certain models, was all I could come up with. After his walk around, he looked up and said "You rode her in huh?, I can smell her." with a grin. I smiled back and said she gets out a few times a week, but with her chambers on. He seemed to be quite serious with his scouring of the bike, but at that moment, he smiled back.

After it was judged, I actually bailed with the wife and headed home for a catnap. We got back to the meet and my bike at the assigned time to see the head judge award another bike in my class first place. :thumbdown:
We figured we'd go check out the whole show since we had time before I could move the bike anyway. We spent a few hours drooling over the selection of motorcycles and cars. It was overwhelming and a surprise to see how many motorcycles were brought in haulers, trailers or trucks. We found a spot at the stage and watched all the winning cars do their award receiving drive bye's. The last car rolled through and we headed back to the H1. I saw some plastic on my seat from a distance and said, "Some f------ left his trash on my bike." It's a huge park, so I figured it was a dog poop bag from some other make enthusiast, showing his thoughts on my Kawasaki. My wife said "No, it's a plaque!" Sure enough when we got to it, there it was. Wrapped in plastic, a plaque for Second Place! We were shocked, then smiled from ear to ear with a high five and a hug. Not many around at this point as most non winners had left during the awards ceremony, we stood there with smiles in amazement. I was lucky no one grabbed it and split. We never would have known I had placed. That's good karma right there.

The ride home, though short, was awesome! A little power wheelie past the wife in the Tahoe, smiling under the helmet the whole way home.
My neighbor Vic, who deserves a shout out for sharing all his knowledge as well, stopped by the house to see the plaque. I had text the pictures to him in my excitement. "I knew it" he said, "and you ride your bike too!". I have to ride past his house to leave mine and I'm sure he's inside smiling when he hears me roll past. :D

So there it is. Long, but that's the end of the story. Well, the beginning. Now I get to enjoy riding my H1 for years to come.
Thanks again men. As I said before, couldn't have done it without all your help. Ride safe. :wave:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:29 pm 

Great story - I'm a bit sceptical of Concourse bikes that are trailered in, and never see the road, but it is a great CREDIT to you that you rode your H1 to the event, picked up a trophy, and had more FUN than the trailer queens! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:17 am 

So it looks like Burl Ives liked your bike after all! :clap: Great story and a well deserved outcome. :thumbup: It looks fantastic and super clean, and the fact that you ride it regularly pulls the rug out from under my usual excuse... :oops: I guess I better get working... on a new excuse :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:08 am 

fastmike wrote:

The Honda Express skatebike in the foreground seem unsafe at any speed....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:35 am 

ihatemybike wrote:
fastmike wrote:

The Honda Express skatebike in the foreground seem unsafe at any speed....

OK Ralph!!!

:lol: :lol: