Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:55 pm 

I picked up a pair of 15" shocks for a project...I thought they needed service, and they are rebuildable, or that is to say I was able to take them apart.
I think they were useable as they were, its just I wasnt putting them upside down, as they are supposed to be. There was some pressure in there that pushed the rod back up, so I believe they were nitrogen charged. There was some pressure that released as I pushed the rod all the way in so the threaded end just passed the seals. (I had them upside down on a big rag) No way it was 200 pounds, which is what Ive read are in some charged shocks. The oil was frothy, but thats normal for emulsion shocks.

So now, I can put new oil and seals in if I want, but what about the nitrogen charge? Ive got plenty of nitrogen at work, but only at about 100 pounds or so, its not from liquid...the thing is, there is no charging port that I can find on these shocks. I believe they are Showas..someone said they look like the shocks that came on a twin shock Honda XL, and they do look like that.

The disassembly happened exactly as I found described for some snow mobile shocks that are nitrogen charged.
Pressed cap, seal head with retaining ring.

There is an old trick for changing oil in non rebuildable shocks where you braze a fine pitch nut on the lower body and drill a hole thru the center. Then use a screw to plug it.

Im wondering about welding a 1/8 npt fitting on, drilling a hole and adding a shrader valve. Id probably use a TIG because thats what Im best at, never brazed anything, but I also dont want to booger up the inner wall...they sell vales specifically for use with nitrogen.

Ive seen some charged shocks that are not rebuildable and have warnings about the gas charge stamped on them...but these had no such warnings, and are rebuildable, except for the lack of charge port, so who knows.

1972 S2 350, 1972 F9 350 Bighorn, 1975 KX400, 1981 YZ465, 1980 XT500 (Built for MX) , 1987 KD80, 1995 MZ Skorpion, TTR 125, 1994 KDX200 , 1978 Mobylette, 1985 KX350R-F91m (Frankenstein) and a Doodle Bug