Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: KTOG spam
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:30 am 

I am not a member of the Kawasaki triples owners group board. Somehow I have been added to a 'tapatalk' group that routinely send out updates of that group via email. Today there was a post about a new H2R engine being sold. I decided i wanted to see what one of those looks like, so I clicked on the link. It took me there, but also opened up some clickbait spam, a virus warning trying to get me to 'clean' my phone etc. It took a few tries to close the damm thing down and then go unsubscribe to the email chain. So, warnings to those getting those emails, and the tapatalk app is either spam or has some bad content somehow. Might be a good thing to warn someone over there I guess.

Post subject: Re: KTOG spam
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:15 am 

I got the same, still getting the TapaTalk ads, but haven't seen the spam/virus stuff with it. I use a good virus filter, it might have intercepted it first.

It is a new KR750 engine, not an H2R.

Then, it was said there weren't more than 35 H2R's ever built. Again, incorrect, and I don't care what "expert" says different, I WAS THERE. One year, U.S., Australia got 6 each, Europe got 12 between 4 teams, and other areas got 6 more, that was for ONE year. In the winters of both 1972 and 1973, I took 12 of them out of their crates from Japan, in Santa Ana, California, and two more mid year 1973. First ones got to U.S. in late 1971, then, through 1975.

That site isn't bad, just triples people with different views and outlooks.

One topic was about how wrong checking oil line check valve relief pressures by air pressure wasn't right, when that IS the way both Mikuni and Kawasaki have done them all along, accurately. I took it as being about me in a recent topic here. The contention was exactly what I got when I was still a member there, I had to be a liar, as I couldn't possibly have actually been there during that time in street and factory race triples history, nor worked at Team Kawasaki Road Race, nor worked on Yvon's bikes, and everything I had to say had to be a lie.

It's just like the recent topic here, "Who was number 17?". Some have no knowledge of triples history, nor those that worked with, raced, and rode them back then, in person.

Worrying about what is posted there is just a waste of good triples time, let them think what they want whatever level of inaccuracy, some of us were there, and we know how it all went down. They weren't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:25 am 

Apologies, they may have called it a KR750, after my phone started opening up popups I forgot what the original content was called. I had noticed some odd statements etc there, so have not paid them much attention I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 am 

Engine is a new old stock real KR750. It doesn't have ignition, nor oil pump. Nice just the same.

I haven't seen the pop-ups from the ads, lucky, I guess. I do know Tapa-Talk is supposed to be some sort of super duper phone program, and have seen it on some of the responses here with no problems.

Their topics can sometimes be very amusing, mostly OK, a few really bizarre ones. For the most part, good people with good intentions, but with the usual handful of some there too. Some "breakthroughs" there the rest of us have been doing for the last 45 years plus.

Can't wait to see all this posted over there, we all know it will bring much discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:16 pm 

The TapaTalk crap is part of the new owners of the forum software.
They rescued us from having to pay to view the boards, so maybe a bit of understanding is due there as well eh?
I will look through the profile settings and see if there is a way to turn the messages off.
I get them as well, but never click on them. They are pesky for sure.
Deleting a few emails a week seems like a small price to pay for free forums

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:22 pm 

Only a few settings to change that may end the emails.
I changed the one for admins to send emails
Lets see what happens after a day or two.

Attachment:
Untitled-1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:46 am 

I have been seeing the emails too, but never clicked on any. I have also been resisting signing on to the TapaTalk login, just adding one click to do it the old way. (I think I'll continue with that...)
Anyway, to eliminate the emails , go the the UCP and click on "Manage Subscriptions". I found that I was subscribed to several threads, some I started and some I jut posted in. I didn't do this, it somehow set them up by default and every time someone posted in one of the threads I would get an email (usually 2). Check the boxes for each of the threads and select "Unsubscribe". It's stated pretty well in the header...

Attachment:
Manage Subscriptions.JPG

I think that was the source of my emails and maybe it will help for others, time will tell...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 am 

The thing is, I'm NOT a member of KTOG, just for this group here, so I have no idea why I am included in tapatalk emails to a group I never signed up for nor do I visit. Strange.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:55 am 

OK, I know why I was getting 2 emails at a time, one was from KTOG and the other from the KH&S forum, which has also switched to Tapatalk. When I logged in to KH&S to unsubscribe, I found that I had no subscriptions. Hmmm, a hole in my theory? I have also checked "No" to emails from administrators and users (per Steve's post) on both forums, so again, waiting to see if it stops...

Que the Jeopardy music....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:14 pm 

You can always make an email filter that sends that stuff to the trash before you see it.