Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pro Stock Bike Riders
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:06 am 

Went to Redding PA Friday to watch NHRA qualifying.
All the competition classes were moved to next weekend as the plan was to make sure that all the Pro classes had 2 qualifying passes on a good track Friday as there is a possibility of a rain out on Saturday. They want to race on Sunday and not get into a rain date on Monday if at all possible (according to the track guys I talked to).
Needless to say, the crew guys looked anxious and even admitted that they hadn't had much expereince this season with very cool air & track temps coupled with a low altitude facility. The first 4 funny cars could not get to half track without going up in smoke and abandoning their runs. Not the happiest faces in the pits. However, the 2nd round showed some new track records and very close to world record runs.

2nd round of Pro Stock bikes comes up and I just happen to be walking through the staging lanes and look over to see LE Tonglet and Mike Phillips chatting and talking trash. Two of the nicest guys you could meet. Really friendly and hung around to finish up a conversation even though the line was moving.
BTW, the 3 pieces of black duct tape on the back of Mike's jacket is not because it's worn out; it's to keep it from moving around at speed. He also has a ball of duct tape a little bigger than a golf ball stuffed inside the rear waist band of his leathers for aerodynamics.

Lastly, they should have more nitro classes that have their own day to run. I don't care if it's golf carts and lawnmowers.
There is drag racing with gasoline, alcohol, and NoS and then there is:

Nitromethane: Crack for Gearheads

If you haven't been to a national event, I highly encourage you to add it to the bucket list.