Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:07 pm 

While waiting on the carb parts started in on some other stuff. Front brake is installed.

Man did this pivot joint cause me some headaches. Like a Moron I painted the caliper holder before checking it out. Well the pivot was frozen and needed serious heat that even VHT could not come close to handling. Ended up doing a fine bead blast instead of repaint and the part looks great. Oh, and the reproduction fender that is a PITA to mount had to come off, TWICE, because after I bolted everything up, the caliper mount was upside down. C,mon now, how many parts have you guys put on backwards or upside down without beer?

Got started on the front end controls and wiring too. She is starting to look more like a bike now.

Luckily electrical is my strong suit. After seeing that a PO had electrical problems by the havazz wiring labels, orange wire nuts, and the switch in the headlight? I got a new harness.

This,

Should be this,

I don't know why the reproduction headlight shell has this hole in it, maybe a European thing? My plan is to plug it with a plastic plug from the hardware store.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:45 pm 

is the kill switch really purple ?
or just a camera thing

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:54 pm 

two-stroke-brit wrote:
is the kill switch really purple ?
or just a camera thing

No, it is Purple. It is a part I ordered months ago and never looked at, so it is a keeper. I put it on because Purple is the Wife's favorite color and this will be her bike anyway, I'm telling her I special ordered it for her. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:01 pm 

Well, these Bastids are finally in and hooked up. I am embarrassed at how long these carbs took me, I got schooled well on this carb set up.

Clutch cover, cable, and lever installed. Clutch is adjusted and grips are in place. Want to talk anal? Well, maybe that didn't come out quite right :D Check out the cable guide that was plated. Will anyone see it? Probably not for years anyway.

Here is the other side of that cable guide and horn mount. I have no idea what this bracket does. I know part of it holds a band to secure the wiring harness but don't know what the rest of it is for. The parts book calls it a "Stay Speed Unit"? I redid it in Yellow Chromate anyway.

Also got the rear brake done. One of the best things God gave man was disk brakes. I have yet to do a bike where this part of the job wasn't a PITA.

And speaking of PITA stuff. These things are tough, until you learn how. I tried lube, hot water, and finally figured out that it was procedure. You need to do the lube and hot water but you also need to start them close to the lever and not just trying to go straight around the globe part. That doesn't explain it very well, I know.

Prep work also got done. The signature part of this bike IMO is the exhaust, it makes the bike. The flanges were pretty rusted up and got plated today. This will ready the next step, install of the NOS exhaust. I actually have to do some paying work tomorrow so that will have to wait till this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:07 pm 

Wow, those carbs make 2-stroke Mikunis look real easy!! :lol: Coming together real nice!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:39 pm 

So, another big step today as the exhaust got mounted. The NOS exhaust came without the #1 and #3 pipe clamps and I got the reproduction ones, lets just say they were a biatch to get on. Installing this exhaust would probably be a lot easier with another set of hands. But, it is on and makes the bike. IMO the 400F exhaust helps make it arguably the best looking bike of the SOHC era. Some pics,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:41 pm 

Also got some good progress on the electrical. Everything is mounted and wired mid section back. Tomorrow will see the front end getting wired up. More pics,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:43 pm 

I'm a big fan of the Lithium Batteries, in particular the Antigravity brand, MADE IN THE USA. I bought a solid state rectifier/regulator combo thinking it would be a good upgrade for a Lithium Batteyr as they don't take well to over charging. Here is a pic of the modern unit.

And then I read the instructions. AG will not warrant a battery if charged above 14.6 volts.

So, the original rectifier and regulator will stay. I am hoping somebody has used the modern one piece unit with Lithium batteries and it can be put on. For now she goes old school.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:01 pm 

you are making great progress,
and your right the 4-1 exhaust makes this bike :thumbup:
i dread to think how many $$$ a NOS exhaust costs.
mark

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:20 pm 

Electrical is 99% done. I am just waiting on new coils and have to stop at the hardware store tomorrow to pick up a plug for the headlight shell and install the headlight. The new wiring harness worked out well. The only glitch was that the Left Bar Switch Cluster is for a UK model. The difference is they don't run front signals as running lights, has a passing switch, and the horn switch feeds positive to the horn instead of grounding it like the US model. Made the simple wiring mods and everything works, all lights, signals, horn, etc. Not much for pics today as I forgot my camera and used my phone. The test of the wiring mod for the front running lights,

The new electronic ignition got installed and timed, no more points.

The Antigravity Battery got installed too. It is much smaller than the Lead Acid and foam is supplied by AG to take up the space. I am a big fan of Lithium Batteries mainly because you can forget about them in the off season.

I don't want to jinx it but it looks like those days screwing off from work may get this bike to Deals Gap in time. I just want to see it start and the oil light go out. Pretty confident that after that I can chase away the usual Gremlins.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next