Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:40 pm 

The Z1 I am restoring(for me! :D )was in great condition with the exception of 4 into 2 pipes and the swingarm had been messed with by cutting off the original lower shock mounts and drilling a hole in the center of the swingarm where point of the forged end plate connects with the tube and also welding a nut on the back for the lower mount bolt to attach. Hawaii Mike gave me a swingarm he had so I could cut the shock mounts off(it just occurred I should have asked Mike to cut the mounts off and put them in a tiny box instead of paying to ship the whole swingarm :crazy: )and weld them to the one I have. I did a lot of grinding to get the old welds off of the end plate, it was globbed all over in the hollowed out areas. I think it turned out okay and it's nice that the fellows help each other out like Mike did for me.
Here is how it was.
And ready for some primer and sanding.
This side I still need to sand more.
The code

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:45 pm 

Good story, those welds are far to good for an original resto!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:12 am 

Wow mailing those mounts would have saved some $ on postage, anyways you got the job done.