Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:17 pm 

I was, at one time, a certified BMW tech. Those bikes have a couple of very minor issues.

Rocker arm stands are not doweled to the heads, so they can be set too far apart, and when the npush rod moves the rocker, it has to "lift into the holder" at the top of the head, which makes a sound like the valves are loose. the stands are held in place by the head studs, and what we did to tighten them up was literally use a flat punch to "whack" them into a tighter rocker arm hold. Once done, the valve train stays quiet for quite a while. this will be the cause if the valves are still "clacky" after setting their clearances.

For the point type ignitions, ine set of points runs both cylinders, two lobe point cam. Test the tming by looking at both sides timing separately. IF the timing is on for one side, but way off for the other, literally lightly whack the stud that holds the advance mechanism until they both read same. YES< that is what the procedure was, as outlined by Butler and Smith, the distributor eons ago.

Balance of carbs is essential, MUST be by manometer, gauges will not be accurate. Two adjustments, idle screw stops, cables for off idle.

The primary pipes either blue, or burned color IS NORMAL for those engines.

20W-50 oil is best for engine, 75W-90 gear oil for transmission, rear gear set. If you can find a dropped oil pan for the engine, it'll add 1 - 1/2 quarts of engine oil, a very good deal to do.

Those bikes are darned near totally bulletproof, they do just about everything wight very few, if any things badly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:46 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
I was, at one time, a certified BMW tech. Those bikes have a couple of very minor issues.

Rocker arm stands are not doweled to the heads, so they can be set too far apart, and when the npush rod moves the rocker, it has to "lift into the holder" at the top of the head, which makes a sound like the valves are loose. the stands are held in place by the head studs, and what we did to tighten them up was literally use a flat punch to "whack" them into a tighter rocker arm hold. Once done, the valve train stays quiet for quite a while. this will be the cause if the valves are still "clacky" after setting their clearances.

For the point type ignitions, ine set of points runs both cylinders, two lobe point cam. Test the tming by looking at both sides timing separately. IF the timing is on for one side, but way off for the other, literally lightly whack the stud that holds the advance mechanism until they both read same. YES< that is what the procedure was, as outlined by Butler and Smith, the distributor eons ago.

Balance of carbs is essential, MUST be by manometer, gauges will not be accurate. Two adjustments, idle screw stops, cables for off idle.

The primary pipes either blue, or burned color IS NORMAL for those engines.

20W-50 oil is best for engine, 75W-90 gear oil for transmission, rear gear set. If you can find a dropped oil pan for the engine, it'll add 1 - 1/2 quarts of engine oil, a very good deal to do.

Those bikes are darned near totally bulletproof, they do just about everything wight very few, if any things badly.

Thanks, greatly appreciated. Looks like I will move forward on seeing what kind of deal he wants to do. Too bad he doesn't want to trade towards the '93 ZR1100 as he purchased brand new.

Thanks again
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:10 pm 

I don't know what other motorcycles you have Jeff, but when I got the Guzzi I found that I really enjoyed going for long rides, getting 300 miles to reserve, and not having to feel obligated to do the ton on every straightaway. A couple weeks ago I did an overnight trip to the DC area and back, on mostly very lightly traveled back roads. When I got home after the 500 mile round trip, the first thing I thought was "I wish I needed to do another long ride tomorrow."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:48 pm 

Jim wrote:
I don't know what other motorcycles you have Jeff, but when I got the Guzzi I found that I really enjoyed going for long rides, getting 300 miles to reserve, and not having to feel obligated to do the ton on every straightaway. A couple weeks ago I did an overnight trip to the DC area and back, on mostly very lightly traveled back roads. When I got home after the 500 mile round trip, the first thing I thought was "I wish I needed to do another long ride tomorrow."

My newest cycle is the '93 ZR1100 ( Zephyr ). If I do more than 150 miles on it, my hands tingle for a few hours. I've had that for 8 years now and time for something else.