Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:08 pm 

It was too humid to bead blast today as it has been raining here in Northern VA for a week and continued today.I tried to no avail. :banghead :banghead :banghead After getting up at 0400 and doing 4 hours of OT at work and the 122 mile commute, I decided to put up my new to me 480 watt medal halide high bay light in the shop. #1 son and ladder holder Jesse assisted.
After about 80 trips or so it seemed up and down the ladder, it was quite bright in the shop at nightfall in the one corner where the new light is installed. I got the whole fixture and bulb to the house for less than the price of a bulb (E-Bay) 8-) 8-) 8-)
I still have a nagging loose connection (of course up at the light fixture) , so I'll be putting the ladder back up 1st thing in the AM. I was in a hurry to get down as I am scared of heights :oops: :oops: :oops: and evidently one of the wire nuts is not tight, I think the fixture must vibarate some on start- up as it hums quite loud till the bulb warms up, then you can barely hear it. The 1st time it acted like it didn't want to come on after I shut it off for 5 minutes. It had been on and working like a champ for an hour??? I found both the hot and neutral wire nuts loose. I will wrap eveything thoroughly, tighten the shite out of them and give it another try tomorrow. It is VERY bright...
This is the 1st ops check:
The bikes at 2000 and full dark outside :) :) :)

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:06 pm 

Tim, you probably figured it out, or knew already, but if you shut off that type of light, it has to cool quite a bit before it will start again. That's normal, not a sign of a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:20 pm 

:oops: :oops: :oops: No I didn't know that. Thanks Jim!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 pm 

Tim Steele wrote:
:oops: :oops: :oops: No I didn't know that. Thanks Jim!!!

Yes Tim I sell them. There is a thermal switch inside the lamp that opens up once the lamp is hot and must cool off before the lamp will come back on. We call it restrike time. Could be like 15 minutes to restrike.

Kind of funny a C130 guy and your scared of heights.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:44 pm 

evansje1 wrote:

In Tim's defense, I've been up towers hundreds of feet, but it scares the heck out of me to go 20 feet up a ladder. The tower (or airplane) is always there... as long as you hold on, you're OK. But ladders aren't so reliable, and slip. You might as well assume that a 20 foot fall to a concrete floor will kill you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:37 pm 

Jim wrote:
evansje1 wrote:

In Tim's defense, I've been up towers hundreds of feet, but it scares the heck out of me to go 20 feet up a ladder. The tower (or airplane) is always there... as long as you hold on, you're OK. But ladders aren't so reliable, and slip. You might as well assume that a 20 foot fall to a concrete floor will kill you.

I was just pulling Tim's chain. I fly also and even with just that thin aluminum around you in a plane you do not get the sensation/fear of falling. Being on the FD for 32 years I've climbed many ladders and have trained alot of young men how to raise, secure, and climb ladders. I remember one main street fire we had, I climbed ladders all night and didn't have a problem. Then the sun finally came up and I looked around town when I got to the top of the ladder, crap I thought this is scary now that its light. Climbing a tower to over a hundred feet might be a problem for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:36 pm 

now ya need about 10 more.... :lol: good going tim. boy its dank in there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:51 pm 

Yeah I plan on 9 or 10 more. It is dank you are right. It was overcast outside that doesn't help. You have to open the doors to wrok inside, even on a sunny day.