Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:43 pm 

It's a universal design that replaces the cable. I don't know if it would fit in by the carbs but they have a side mount one if you look around.

Only problem is it's on AliExpress. I might take the gamble. 8-)

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Black-Hydraulic-Magura-clutch-level-master-cylinder-1200mm-fit-Motorcycle-Dirt-bike-Pit-Bike-125cc-250cc/1280001_2006089402.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:00 pm 

Magura makes a line of those at a pretty reasonable price, if you want a name brand. Going with a real hydraulic system is money better spent. A guy on the Canadian board made some slave cylinders for triples. I don't know if he has any left, but you could ask. I've had a hydraulic actuator on my H2 for 35 years and love it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:27 pm 

Jim wrote:
Magura makes a line of those at a pretty reasonable price, if you want a name brand. Going with a real hydraulic system is money better spent. A guy on the Canadian board made some slave cylinders for triples. I don't know if he has any left, but you could ask. I've had a hydraulic actuator on my H2 for 35 years and love it.

The Magura one like this one is almost three hundred bucks on ebay. I like the idea of a straight up cable replacement though. This includes the slave for 38 bucks. Lever, perch, line and slave all in for 38 bucks.

I don't think a stock cable any cheaper. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:55 pm 

...you'll be a slave ...trying to install that on a triple. :ugeek:

If the master and lines works it isn't a terrible deal, but the slave will never work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:13 pm 

Zambia wrote:
...you'll be a slave ...trying to install that on a triple. :ugeek:

If the master and lines works it isn't a terrible deal, but the slave will never work.

Why not?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:26 pm 

I'm not sure what you gain, just replacing the cable with that system. You still have all the drawbacks of the helical actuator, and add reliability problems from a cheap hydraulic system. But heck, try it if you want and give us a report.

Going to a real hydraulic system makes it all self-adjusting, and absolutely smooth. Lever pull can be whatever you like, depending on the master cylinder you choose.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:48 pm 

It just seems unlikely that the cable will fit the existing pusher and also have the perfect amount of travel - as you said, it might be worth rolling the dice?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:57 pm 

Jim wrote:
I'm not sure what you gain, just replacing the cable with that system. You still have all the drawbacks of the helical actuator, and add reliability problems from a cheap hydraulic system. But heck, try it if you want and give us a report.

Going to a real hydraulic system makes it all self-adjusting, and absolutely smooth. Lever pull can be whatever you like, depending on the master cylinder you choose.

You still gain the mechanical advantage of the hydraulics. Sure you keep the actuator, but the hydraulics will remove the lever effort to operate it. Same as it overcomes the springs.

For the price of a cable, I think I might give it a shot. I'm more worried about losing my money in China. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:02 pm 

Zambia wrote:
It just seems unlikely that the cable will fit the existing pusher and also have the perfect amount of travel - as you said, it might be worth rolling the dice?

It's adjustable just like the stock cable is where it goes in the crankcase. There's a threaded portion there about 2 inches long so there's about 2 inches of adjustment. Matter of fact, that's what it is, a hydraulic cable replacement. It's a chinese copy of a Magura part.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:11 pm 

captainpooby wrote:
You still gain the mechanical advantage of the hydraulics. Sure you keep the actuator, but the hydraulics will remove the lever effort to operate it. Same as it overcomes the springs.

You can make a cable and hand lever have any mechanical advantage you like, same as a hydraulic system. The only thing you'll gain is getting rid of the cable friction and play. That may be a nice improvement, but it won't come close to the feeling of the real thing.