Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:13 am 

Boy, everybody seems to be telling me all kinds of crazy pilot jet scenarios,, I believe the 69-71 H1s came stock with a 30. Because of todays crapy gas everybody has a different idea of what size to run. Im running NON-ETHANAL fuel in all my bikes. Does the pilot have a lot to do with keeping your motor cool. May sound like a stupid question, please can somebody explain the whole purpose of a pilot jet. IN DEATAIL. LOL
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Thanks so much

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:39 am 
Site Admin

The pilot system is what provides fuel when the slide is closed (idle position). It consist of the pilot jet and airscrew. It also provides fuel at other throttle positions but its effect is dramatically diminished as the throttle is advanced. A clogged pilot system will cause hard starting and rough idle.
Ethanol fuel is no reason to change pilot jet size. It has nothing to do with the temp of the engine.
There is rarely a need to change from stock pilot size with a stock engine/carb.
An explanation is in the H manual pg47 http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/hseries/sec3.pdf
If highest idle rpm is attained with airscrew adjusted between 1 1/4-1 3/4 turns out then you have the correct size pilot jet. http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/carbt ... #adj%20low

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:23 pm 

A clogged pilot system can also cause a burn down when the throttle is let off at high speed. Because it is basically all you have for fuel delivery in that situation. At least that is what I have seen in cold weather applications. (Sleds) It helps to crack the throttle a little as you are slowing down after a long full throttle pull.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:05 pm 

What is a "burn down"?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:20 am 

I have not heard that term but what he describes is a lean condition that can hole a piston.