Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New track in central NY
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:09 am 

Pass this on fellas would like to see this new track survive already has local opposition :evil:

New track in central NY , two years up and running, 2.1.mile newly paved road race course, 49 dollar members ship 180 dollars a day track day usage , http://www.nyst.com/

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:37 am 

It is like many endeavors, build it so far away from civilization, that no development will ever come close to it, let alone intrude into the area, and, developers con county and city officials to allow complete and total development right up to existing facilities.

It is happening here as well, copper mines right over the hill from my rural home, and in Silver City, Nevada, Comstock Mining has just received both Lyon and Storey County issued special use permits to start open pit mining, right across the road from existing residential tracts and fairly widely spaced apart houses, right up to "their" side of the road, for OPEN PIT MINES, reason, "Uh....thar's GOLD, rit thar!". Anyone want a 150 foot deep open pit, at least 5 acres large, right on the other side of their road?

The other development travesties that really bother me are "sustainable development", "infrastructure" "population density", and a lot more descriptions of forcing people out of their homes, in favor of developmental progress, i.e., cramming as many people into the smallest area government possibly can.

Good luck with the race track, but, it might be a losing battle.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:37 am 

So far I hear they are doing some business.
I actually met a guy hauling some race bikes, at a gas pump near Lake Champlain, who told me he ran there and really liked it.
As far as being miles from civilization Dave, this place is dead center in upstate NY and 15 minutes from Cooperstown, one of the biggest attractions in NY state.
I dont think that will be an issue. Look how far off the beaten path places like Watkins Glen and Pocono raceway are???

I wish them all the luck in the world.
AND, if I ever get the pocket change to blow on a track day, its gonna be there........

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:05 pm 

In So. Cal., Irwindale was 12 miles from anything, ONCE, Now a brewery, Ontario Motor Speedway, 30 miles outside Los Angeles and 12 miles form Ontario, now an industrial and residential development, Orange County Raceway, now a part of residential area of Laguna Beach and surrounding communities, Lion's Dragstrip, now, the main entry road is still there, but the drag strip holds sewer project pipe, and each side of the place is full on residential/industrial.

Even the new California Speedway is in jeopardy of being overrun with residential development in the next 3 years, and, it was 20 miles from nowhere just 4 years ago.

Brooklands, a racing institution in England, I understand, has been the subject of development, either industrial or residential, or both (our English posters would probably know more than I at this point). Brooklands IS racing history in itself, over a hundred years of it, I understand.

As I said, start something up a zillion miles from nowhere, and wait a few years, society and residential development WILL do everything to encroach onto it.

If just one person goes to a place, no matter how remote, some developer, and their pal developers, will eventually end up on the doorstep of what, and whom was there first.

I sure hope those that constantly mess areas up with overwhelming development end up missing this race track, entirely.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:27 pm 

Ahh so true some times Dave....

I used to love watching the Can-Am and Trans-Am series out at Bridgehampton when I was young.
Politics and civilization put an end to that track too.
With some help from sanctioning bodies.
I wish them luck and will get over to check it out some day soon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:10 pm 

Ah...Bridgehampton, I have had some great times racing there, and now, as you indicated, it is gone, with nothing much worthwhile that replaced it.