Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:40 am 

No worries.
It has happened to me as well on big ticket items that I was selling.

One could also make a point that being better educated about an items' value would also keep pricing fair and competitive.
The shill bidding has helped to run up prices artificially as well as the guy who has two of the same items and runs up one to an unreasonably high level so that the other has an overinflated value based on an unreal comparison.

I just hate to see hoarders stock pile parts that they will have in storage when they die so that todays riders can't afford to keep their bikes running.
I don't see you as one who has ever listed parts at an unreasonable level or tried to force pricing up.
In fact I am amazed that the mag wheels you have on ebay have not sold; they are a bargain IMO.

Since this post is about Mr. Golden and the inference that he banned those that discussed competitive bidding, his choice was to ban sellers.
Nothing wrong with stopping collusion in this manner if desired.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:58 pm 

In fact I am amazed that the mag wheels you have on ebay have not sold; they are a bargain IMO.

Aint that something?
What a nice set of wheels too eh?
Never can tell whats gonna happen at the bay Jim.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:42 pm 

Fran is a great guy, I am amazed at what a great accomplishment he did restoring, and selling triples parts to support his Kawasaki passions. Still going strong at 75 even with a bad knee.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:53 am 

I bought a set of Taper Head TNT street pipes from Fran about a year ago.No problems,gave him a call,talked for a while,cool conversation about his bikes,parts and past experiences with triples.Sent me some pictures of his Triples which are beautiful as you know.Got the pipes the next week shipped to my door in perfect shape,packed well !!!!! That was my experience with Fran, and I also bought some original Denco S2 chambers from him years ago also with no problems !!!! He was always straight up and good with me !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:50 pm 

An auction is an auction...you bid what it's worth to you. As long as they pay, there are no good or bad buyers, there is no better or worse use for a part.

Agreeing not to bid on items is collusion, and lowers the value, so I have always disregarded any board protocols.

But I REALLY disregarded them when one long-term member claimed he no longer bid on H1 parts when an NOS pipe was in play on the forum...then won the pipe.

Before that, previous-board agitant DJ Fisher told a hilarious story of another regular member that begged him for months for some parts, then saw them on ebay a few weeks after shipment...only he was more colorful about it.

In too many cases, honor is only honorable until it's not.

I have bought numerous items from Fran. Before the Internet, he carried the triple movement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:50 am 

back in the olden days of ebay, there were those among us that would throw willie-nillie bids on just about each and every triple part that would show up for sale....

These parts weren't anything really "needed" for a particular restoration or to complete a bike, but just "because". If you got it cheap, then well... yipee. One for the future-resto stockpile, right?

Remember, back then, there were only a couple of hundred parts listed. NOTHING like the 10+ Thousand (puke) listed today.

I always looked at the agreement on the old board as a means to let the willie-nillie bidders know that one of us really needed something and were going to go for it. Why artificially drive the price up for your friends? If you go to a live auction, you're sure as heck going to let your friends know not to bid on the things that you are going to go for right?

Is that collusion???? I don't think it is in the truest sense of the word.

But like Mr. Foully, if I needed something and someone else here did as well, I went for it anyways not giving a crap who was going to go for it. I just bid what I was willing to pay. Letting the market dictate the items value.

If I really didn't need said item, I'd back off and let it go. Foully was beneficiary of one of those moments....and fast forward 10+ years, I now really could use that stock Red '70 petrol tank. (I kid, I kid :lol: )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:52 am 

That red tank has had an easy life. It's been mocked-up on a frame in my bedroom for the last five years and in my office for the five before that.

I bought a new house, and for the first time since my divorce sixteen years ago, all my motorcycles are in the same place.

The red tank is about to be used!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:38 am 

stumbled across these posts about fran golden. didnt know he was still around. i have stacks of his newsletters from when he mailed them out the old fashion way (snail mail for you youngins).
does he still send out newsletters? i'd be curious to see what they have to say these days.
thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Fran's quarterly was killed by the internet....... :eh: I remember looking forward to it, I have a bunch too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:28 am 

thanks john

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next