Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:52 am 

scrambler73 wrote:
The only way one would know if these pinholes were there would be to fill the tank with fuel and then put some pressure to it.

If you pressurize a tank at all, don't use more than a couple PSI. I can give more details if necessary. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:22 am 

I have had a H2 tank sitting around, (and getting shaken a lot) with a gallon of Evaporust in it, and it does not leak! So we are removing the rust, and checking for leaks at the same time!! (It was a pretty clean tank to start with.) I plan to 1/2 fill it with pre-mix to store it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:26 am 

We would pressurize a tank back in the day for more capacity, (production racing) - about 150lbs would spread the tank about 3" and give us about an egg-cup more fuel!! :lol: (Don't try it at home!!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:56 am 

Jim wrote:
scrambler73 wrote:
The only way one would know if these pinholes were there would be to fill the tank with fuel and then put some pressure to it.

If you pressurize a tank at all, don't use more than a couple PSI. I can give more details if necessary. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:05 am 

Jim wrote:
scrambler73 wrote:

yeah... I shoulda been a bit more clear I guess.. :lol:
I was indeed talking about a few PSI, NOT 150.....

Didn't Lane try to use air to pop a dent out a few years ago and the tank basically spread to about 2x's its original width? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:28 am 

There is such a thing as false inflation.. we have all experienced it.
That being said... i dont say he shouldn't post it here , but to expect any positive response.... is ridiculous. I pity the buyers more than anything. I posted a set of unmolested windowed carbs for 300 bucks and got some negative responses. Including cyclebuster. Pot-kettle-black? hm. incidentally i still have them available and will be offered along with the 69 motor for a lot less (half or so) than I had them listed for sale. Considering they were cleaned, etc, and are ready to bolt on, the labor alone is worth about 100 bucks IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 am 

My experience was with a CB750 tank that I worked on for a friend. To test it for leaks, I pressurized it to 15 psi and painted bubble solution all over the seams. My friend took it home, and phoned me, all upset because it had spread a couple inches wider and wouldn't fit on the bike. I was able to suck it back to shape by measuring a good one and pumping out air with a vacuum pump until the widths matched.

I wouldn't go over about 2 psi after that experience. Rod, that must have been a tank without a big tunnel in the middle, to be able to take that much pressure!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Hal wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:
I just know I would really be pissed if I bought something that expensive and it rusted through....

This is somewhat unlikely to happen though :roll: .......that you would actually buy something that expensive :lol:

I forgot the big "IF" ............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:53 am 

That was a H2 tank, Jim, and it spread a lot, before we put it against a wall and something heavy! Tough things, a H2 tank. It is the tank I am using on this build, so I will do a capacity check soon. It does look a bit 'fullsome' around the filler neck!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:32 am 

I believe oxygen plays a big part in the rust factor, One thing you can do is simply plug your vent cap when stored for long period.. I have an h2 that still had fuel in it. that had been stored for over 20 yrs. My cleanest tank ive come across. My belief is the air vent was plugged to allow no evaporation or oxy.and preserved the tank.. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next