Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:19 pm 

Those were some great times. I grew up in a small town of 3000 and we had my buddy Jay's Kawasaki shop and the shop that sold Indians(the two strokes like the mini-mini)Hodakas, Bridgestones and starting in 1973, Nortons. Jay started his Kawasaki dealership in 1965 and had two new B8Ss on the showroom floor. Those were the only two bikes on the floor until 1968 when he and his little brother finally just kept them for themselves. The engine numbers on those bikes were: FE0005 and 0006. Jay sold 0006 to Fast Trax Sports, a Kawasaki dealership in Sully Iowa I think in the late 90's and 0005 disappeared to we don't know where. In 1969 the dealership got it's next bikes, a 1969 350 Avenger which Jay also kept for himself and a 1969 H1 that his little brother hotwired and stole off the showroom floor one Sunday. He made it about 220 miles and the CDIs burned out. He had to call Jay to come and get him :oops: . When they got back Jay fixed it and Fred kept it for a couple of years(he never did pay for it)and then the chain of ownership started that went to, Bob M, then Gene B, then Dave B(no relation), then Dan V, then Charles L, then back to Dan V, and then to Wayne S, and finally me last August. Fred took me down a gravel road 100mph when I was 13 back in 1970 and almost made me start crying, so me and this bike go way back. Jay started selling a lot more bikes in 1971 and in 1972 he had the whole model line in the showroom. I remember helping him put the bikes together out of the crates, I wanted one so bad, any one it didn't matter but alas I had no cash so I could only dream. I got to ride every new Kawasaki that came out from 1972 to 1975 when I graduated from high school. I remember the day Jay got the new 1973 Z1, we couldn't believe it, what a bike! When Jay started it up on the showroom floor it sounded like a formula one car. His brother Fred liked it too so he took it off the floor one afternoon when I was there and we pushed it out the front door and it was his, he never paid for it either. He let me get on the back and we rolled down main and onto the highway and he took off. He ran it hard all the way to the top and we went all the way to the next little town(20 miles)at about 120mph, it was a freakin blast. At that time I owned my first motorcycle, a G3SS 90. Being as how I hung out at the Kawasaki shop, the 90 wasn't really a 90 anymore and it ran real good. Fred had taken the Z1 in April and it was now June and he wanted to sell it. My best friend Zimmy wanted it real bad and somehow talked his Mom into helping him pay for it. He was 15 years old and had a pretty much new 1973 Z1, a great starter bike in anyone's book :D . He did have a 100 Bridgestone Taka so I guess he wasn't a complete rookie. I envied Zimmy so much you could never know, it actually hurt, riding along on my 90. He couldn't even ride it after 8:00 at night because he only had a learners permit. I was 16 so I would ride it out of town with him on the back and then switch so he could ride. He turned 16 a couple of weeks later and then it was game on. A friend of mine had bought the gold 1973 750 that Jay had in the showroom and within two months he had flipped it over backwards, rode off a 30ft embankment and got hit by his friends car, and this is how me, the broke 16 year old and the gold 750 came together. Tom was riding down main and his friend was coming along behind him in his car. Tom pull a couple of feet over towards the center of the street, stopped, and with his right hand gestured for his pal to pull along his right side, stop and converse a moment, his pal wasn't looking ahead at the time and ran into the back of Tom, sitting on the 750, at about 15mph. Tom went over the hood, smacked into the windshield, bounced in the air and hit the street, he was okay. The bike shot forward on it's wheel for about 30ft and then went over on the right side and skidded to a stop. Me and Zimmy were standing in front of the local hangout and watched it happed. We went over and after the cops were done we pushed it a block to Jay's shop. It had suffered a bent rear wheel, a bent front wheel, a smashed tail light and housing, the U shaped frame piece was also bent up a little and there was the oil cover and blinkers. The insurance company totaled it and Tom told me I could buy it for $300. I didn't have any cash so I once again was bummed. The next day was Saturday and I was sitting on the couch when my Grandma came over and sat down by me and put $300 in my hand and said "I want you to have that motorcycle", she was the greatest Grandma ever! I bought the bike and Jay helped me fix everything and then me and Zimmy could finally ride. It was pretty cool being 16 year old kids and having the two fastest, quickest superbikes on the planet. We raced any and everything all the time and my 750 never lost a race, it was bad ass quick. Zimmy's 900 was very close but it never would beat it in the quarter. Top end seems like it was a tie also. Zimmy worked at his Dad's Mobil station until 9:00 pm and after he got done we would just tear it up till the sun came up. Most of the bikes around were the Nortons and we taught those guys early that they were wasting gas to try to keep up. I just thought I would tell you guys my Kawasaki background let you see why I am so enthused about the triples now. Let's here some stories about how you guys got hooked on Kawasaki green!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 pm 

never was any Kawasaki dealers around when I was young, BSA dealer 1000ft off the port beam, Honda dealer 5 mi north. So all I ever saw was 4 stroke iron. One day (1982?] at a friends house a guy pulled in the yard on his 71 H1, it had an outer space themed purple paint job with stars and galaxies on the tank and covers and velocity stacks with chrome chambers. that thing was insane. He called it a "dial a wheelie" and man was it. At that time I was riding a 6 over 72 gold CB450. Within weeks my brother who was there also, purchased a 73 H2 with a blown transmission. He took it to the Kawasaki dealer in grand rapids to be fixed. That night the shop was broken into and every Kawasaki was stolen, and not one Harley Davidson. We never saw it again. So years later, I found an H1 needing some work, fixed it and sold it, and that's the name of that tune. Now you cant find a 3 cylinder Kawasaki here anywhere, so what I have, i am keeping.
On another note, same place I saw the H1, another buy rides in on a mint 65 electra glide. Well he is all Harley eyed, and talking about how great it was. So 3 weeks later he comes in with it stripped to the limit. "sold all that junk" he says. I just laughed, made him mad. A month goes by, here he comes again... 12 over springer and 21 in no brake wheel, S&S carb, ape hangers, primered! "traded that junk stock front end for this cool one" it was all shot. dented rim, every pivot worn out, chrome peeling... The last time I saw that bike it was an engine and a rolling frame with a peanut tank sheet metal screwed into the top tube and the front end was so loose it was unrideable.
Now every time I see a "bobber" or "street fighter" I have to laugh. they bobbed the value in half!! And street fighter is a good term, most of that junk is so unsafe it has to be a fight to maintain an upright position on the pavement!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:59 am 

cyclebuster wrote:
He took it to the Kawasaki dealer in grand rapids to be fixed. That night the shop was broken into and every Kawasaki was stolen, and not one Harley Davidson. We never saw it again. So years later, !

:shock:
:o
My '73 that I took to Deals Gap in 2004 Was stolen from a Kawasaki dealership back in the Early 1970's when it was taken in for a transmission repair :eh: I kid you not! When recovered it just had the bare motor, no pipes or jugs Etc as all those parts were taken off to get at the tranny and got separated or sold from the recovered bike. It then ended up at Larry Stones in Detroit where he replaced all the parts and sat on it for the next 30 years until I bought it, the only way that you could ever relate to the bike is that it did have a Canadian flag decal on the inner rear guard. Do you have any other details? Frame number off an old insurance or registration :think:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:58 am 

^ I was just gonna' tell my story, but I think I'll shut up for a while............!! :o :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:31 am 

was 19 years old 1975, was in Law University, 2d year, 69 H1 stolen sadly and just waiting money from the insurance and from work during holidays to buy a brand new H2B.
In the beginning of may, my father said me, he have the moneyand he can lend it to me.
Called immediadly my K deaker and he said no more H2 new in France, lasts were sold in April and the H2C would never come.
Called all the french Kawasaki dealers and no one had one new (and yes the lasts were sold in april) :(
was very disapointed cause if I have asked to my father to lend me the money 3 weeks before I would have got one brand new H2B and really wanted one.
Didn't know what to buy and just bought a used low mileage Kawasaki F9 big horn 1972 to have a bike :mrgreen:
Later (july) I said to my Kawasaki dealer was thinking to buy a brand new Ducati 750 sport but was not sure :?:
He replied "perfect, I was just became also Ducati dealer and have got a used Ducati 750 GT, I sold you it, you're going in holidays with and if you liked, after holidays , I will buy back the GT the same price I sold you and you will buy me a brand new Ducati 750 sport".
so I was going to the dealer to pick up the Duke.
When I arrived saw a 73 H2A, double discs, clips on, and only 9.000 kilometers.
Asked if it was for sale :mrgreen: he said yes and I bought it
Came back with a friend on my F9 to pick up the H2, said bye bye to the big horn,
shame on me didn't fold up the front peg to use the kick starter on the H2 (as you didn't need it on the H1 :roll: )
went to a road: put full gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas :twisted: and yes it is :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: and when I used the brakes, strangely the brakes worked :o
strangely have actually a H2B and a H2A among other K triples :!: don't know why :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:44 am 

husson73, I'm just glad you didn't go to the Ducati camp and stay for good! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:09 am 

the 73 was stolen I think 79-80?? I was partying pretty hard back then. I will ask my brother if he knows any more details. they must have thought the bike was valuable, it was locked up blown in gear, and they dragged it all the way out to load it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 am 

A friend in High School had the cool bikes. He had a really nasty black painted H-2 with stingers and the thing was a beast. He also bought a shipping container that had 14 H1-H2s in it. In the back of the container was a real Kawasaki track bike ( 4 stroker) from the early 80's Eddie Lawson looking. We lived close to Laguna Seca at the time and track bikes were around. I was looking for a project 2-stroker I called him up. This was 5 yrs ago. No, nothing to sell at this time he said. A year later my Soncalls him up looking for a project and he mentions the H2. He still had the nasty black H2 from high school. He sells the kid the H2, 3 engines and enough parts to put it together for a 1000. I ask him why he didn't sell me that a year earlier and he wasn't ready to sell then. He also mentions that the shipping container had a H1-R in it too. He says " Too bad I didn't know you guys were into these old triples as I sold the H1-R last month!" My Son got a lot of cool paperwork that he had saved over the years including Denco stuff as they were right up the road from us in Fremont.

We are still putting the bike together but it might come to life this year if we are lucky. (basketcase)

My buddy road the track bike one time and said it was the scariest thing he had ever been on!
I still have yet to ride a triple sadly enough. I had RDs instead and like the RZ girlie bikes too.

The triple now has reeds and a mild port job and other mods that all of you have recommended so should be interesting to ride.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:59 am 

There was a kid a couple of years younger than me that had a 1973 RD350 and he always tried to race my 750 and my buddies Z1. He tried us in a half block, block, two blocks, quarter, top speed( :lol: ), and every other length of straight line race he could try. Poor kid just couldn't get it through his head that his bike was less than half our size. One time we raced a friend of ours that had a 1970 GTO. He had three guys in the car and we raced from 60mph on. That GTO pulled away like we were chained to the road and we never could catch him or figure out what the hell just happened. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:19 pm 

I did some checking and I was wrong about the engine serials. The one Jay's brother Fred had that we thought was FE 0005 was actually FE8S 00179, and the one Jay had that I thought was FE 0006 is actually FE8S 00006. I called Craig and asked him to look at the engine number for me and he did, but he also took a picture of the original dealer bill of sale that my friend Jay gave him with the bike.
Here is FE8S 00006 hanging up at Fast Trax in Iowa.
And here is the dealer sale document.