Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:46 pm 

and ignored. In my late teens when I rode My built RD350 it developed a bit of a surge. I called the Kawi shop and spoke to the tech who built it for me (Rick Anderson....you who drag raced H2's in the 70's/80's may recognize the name). He said it had a problem and told me to truck it up there asap. Of course I kept riding it.....drag racing another RD I lost power and kaput (a twin running on one cylinder does not have half the power :lol: ). I limped it home and pulled the right baffle to throw in a bucket of water as it was burning/smoking from the hot piston shrapnel embedded in the oily glass. I took it to Randy who promptly showed me the hole in the piston and the gouges in the ruined cc'd head and ported jug. He looked me in the eye and said "Don't ride your bike when it's @part number% up...bad things happen and you will give someone your money." I thought about this today as I rode the H1 with blown fork seals and stuck open oil line check valve. :oops:

What's the best you have ignored?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:48 pm 

When I was 17 my Mom said "Don't" but I did it anyway. Still riding after 37 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:09 pm 

rotortech wrote:
When I was 17 my Mom said "Don't" but I did it anyway. Still riding after 37 years.

My mom was a nurse, and she cried when I bought my 400 triple in 1985, my first street bike.
Thankfully, I never crashed it while she was alive, I packed it up when my first daughter was born (1992), and resurrected it just a few years ago...
I still haven't crashed on the street (knock on wood)...more due to my wanting to preserve the bike, not my hide!
CB
P.S., Best advice I ignored? The guy who insisted strongly that I should put a 4 into 1 exhaust on my triple!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:37 pm 

Yeah....my mom said "won't" when I was ten but my grandad saved the day. :D And I to just came back from a ten year riding hiatus. Having to get good at spending money the wife doesn't know about again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:44 pm 

:P When I was about 13 My father told me to keep my "YOU KNOW WHAT" in my trousers, and my mom told me to "GET A REAL JOB!!" Today I'm still a Married w/children (4) Motorcycle mechanic!! If I had only listened :roll: But then I never would have been a member of the Kawi2strokes.comForum!!!!!! :P :) Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:38 pm 

When in doubt GAS IT. :mrgreen:

Yamaha XS 650 Street Tracker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

I gave it to myself, didn't listen, and was wrong anyway, so I came out ok....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:47 pm 

Location: Barbados, a tiny island in the Caribbean 166 square miles
The first bike I started riding was the Kawi KX85 Motorcross. I was told "that isn't the sorta bike you learn to ride on", but my friend, who was teaching me, when I told him that, just said "it can only go as fast as you want it to." I'm looking at getting a Ninja 250, and have been told the same thing.......again. :roll: but I just repeat "it can only go as fast as I want it to." LMAO :lol:

"I tried to restrain myself, but I escaped." ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

kx85 wrote:
The first bike I started riding was the Kawi KX85 Motorcross. I was told "that isn't the sorta bike you learn to ride on", but my friend, who was teaching me, when I told him that, just said "it can only go as fast as you want it to." I'm looking at getting a Ninja 250, and have been told the same thing.......again. :roll: but I just repeat "it can only go as fast as I want it to." LMAO :lol:

Ask Jaydav about his KX 65 experiance......... :P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:02 pm 

Location: Barbados, a tiny island in the Caribbean 166 square miles
Ja-Moo wrote:
kx85 wrote:

Ask Jaydav about his KX 65 experiance......... :P

Hmm, I somehow get the feeling, that it's NOT a good one. LOL

"I tried to restrain myself, but I escaped." ;-)