Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 am 

So in years past, I worked in the restoration shop of a local aviation museum where this topic was discussed at length. I'm curious as to how much it applies to Kawasaki Triples.

I have a 1972 H2 750, frame number 23164. At some point in it's life, it received a replacement motor, now number 26623. So, for me, the concours perfect restoration isn't an option, which is fine. I intend to ride the thing anyway.

I guess my question is this: my goal with the bike is to get it looking and running nice, spend some time on it, and hold onto it for awhile. Undoubtedly, I will sell it at some point and I'm curious as to how much leeway I might have with a potential buyer.

I tend to take the "restomod" approach to things I do. For example, instead of a painted frame, I'd probably blast and powdercoat the frame. I might swap handlebars around for a more comfortable riding position for me while retaining the stock seat. I'll put on some adjustable shocks instead of the factory pieces and maybe a set of aftermarket pipes.

Things like the oil tank and chain oiler tanks will be aftermarket reproductions, and the seat may wind up as a repop as well.

I guess all this is to ask "If I build a nice, stock-appearing, good-running H2 with modern products (where available), am I going to severly affect the value?" Obviously, there will always be people who want the never-ridden time capsules, but by doing what I'm talking about, am I somehow going to take a bike with the potential to be an $8-10k machine and turn it into a $4-6k bike?

Edit// Lol at the pound sign "not happening here"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 am 

As in most things mechanical (cars, motorcycles, boats etc) you'll never get what you put into it when selling but I think you know that.

Resto-mod triples are cool (we like to call them specials). Lots of choices for you going that route - but you'll have to find the right person when you sell it however you change it around.

IMO keeping the chassis, panels etc mostly stock makes an easier sell. You can do some easy things to increase handling, performance etc that won't detract from it's value.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 am 

BarryB wrote:
As in most things mechanical (cars, motorcycles, boats etc) you'll never get what you put into it when selling but I think you know that.

Resto-mod triples are cool (we like to call them specials). Lots of choices for you going that route - but you'll have to find the right person when you sell it however you change it around.

IMO keeping the chassis, panels etc mostly stock makes an easier sell. You can do some easy things to increase handling, performance etc that won't detract from it's value.

Right, maybe resto-mod was the wrong term to use...your last paragraph is pretty much what I'm angling for. That makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:00 pm 

The frame and engine numbers never match on Kawasaki bikes, so yours is likely the original engine, and if it is not, there is no way to really know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:09 pm 

There are a too big difference between frame and engine numbers. So the engine isn't original but as you wrote the concours perfect restauration isn't an option.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:39 pm 

If you had matching numbers Fully and correctly restored 72 H2 should be worth $13-15K, looks like show bike.
Restored, Non-matching worth about $10-11k, nice mods don't affect value, and this one you can ride. Unfortunately if you paid a lot to acquire the bike you could still be under water at this level after the restoration costs.

Look at all POS 72 H2 number matching Selling for $5k

May seem like a lot to some, I gather most here on the forum are too frugal to pay real world prices. Most have stories about how they paid $500 for one.

Everyone's ideal of nice and running is different.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:55 pm 

If you had matching numbers Fully and correctly restored 72 H2 should be worth $13-15K, looks like show bike.
Restored, Non-matching worth about $10-11k, nice simple mods don't affect value on these , and this one you can ride. Unfortunately if you paid a lot to acquire the bike you could still be under water at this level after the restoration costs.

Look at all POS 72 H2 number matching Selling for $5k

May seem like a lot to some, I gather most here on the forum are too frugal to pay real world prices. Most have stories about how they paid $500 for one.

Everyone's ideal of nice and running is different.
Restored to me means factory like new appearance, rebuilt, repainted, rechromed, metal correct finish. factory correct. Repo parts allowed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:46 pm 

propav8r wrote:

I guess all this is to ask "If I build a nice, stock-appearing, good-running H2 with modern products (where available), am I going to severly affect the value?" Obviously, there will always be people who want the never-ridden time capsules, but by doing what I'm talking about, am I somehow going to take a bike with the potential to be an $8-10k machine and turn it into a $4-6k bike?

IMO, no. It's not like you are chopping it up where the mods are not reversible [except powdercoat].

Restore it the way you want, save all the original parts for the next owner.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:35 pm 

DGA wrote:
The frame and engine numbers never match on Kawasaki bikes, so yours is likely the original engine, and if it is not, there is no way to really know.

:think:

frame is a 1972 H2 and the engine is a 1973 H2a . . .