Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: getting a title
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:25 pm 

Does anyone know how to get a title for a never imported Japanese bike? A friend has a 1983 Honda 2 stroke triple.. MVX250... He has the Japanese title, but wants to get a stateside registration.. Any help will be appreciated...

Allen... Still smoking !!!

Post subject: Re: getting a title
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:40 pm 

Best to get a Vermont registration first (they don't title anything there over 15 years old) I used these guys and had great success.
http://www.motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html Then take the Vermont registration to your DMV and keep your fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:28 pm 

Thank you !! I will pass this on and see how it works out..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:05 pm 

I called Bennington ,Vermont DMV you do not need a third party to register your bike , Just call they will give you the real deal :idea:

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:06 pm 

Thats how I did my Yamaha DT100G........it has to be under 300cc (so you are OK).........and something like 20 years old (maybe 15)

I got an Ohio sales receipt made and signed by my buddy, the seller, got it noterized at the bank.......sent that to vermont....I got the regestration and a license plate from vermont........took the bike to Ohio DMV and got it inspected first and got a slip.........then took it to a different Ohio DMV with all the paperwork in hand.........it worked........best to keep your mouth shut also.........they asked some "test" questions and I just played dumb (easy for me to do :lol: )

BTW......I did not use any third party.....called the Vermont DMV and figured it out

Obtaining a legal title for a motorcycle under 300cc and twenty years of age most any state (worked in Ohio, California may be a problem)
1) Search the internet, find Ohio or whatever state generic vehicle bill of sales form, this is not a state document but looks official, print two copies.
2) Have a witness, take these and get both notarized, will need the 2nd later.
3) Some states will require an odometer verification, Ohio does not, fill out the mileage anyway.
4) Download forms from Vermont DMV Tax/title/registration VD119 and the instructions VD119i, fill them out mileage, VIN, where purchase, everything……you will receive a registration, a plate and a tag from Vermont…..not a title, on a $500 motorcycle, I figured the tax’s $71.10 I believe but it actually cost me $76.10 as there is a fee in there, you can call them and ask. Include your notarized bill off sale and mileage form if needed. I used the Montpelier Office.
5) With the plate on the bike, take it to the Ohio DMV and get it inspected for a title and get the form.
6) I went to a different DMV in Ohio, have your Vermont Registration, Your Ohio Inspection for a title application and your second copy of the notarized bill of sale.
7) Apply for the Ohio title, and inform that this was a farm auction purchase and you will be able to get a cleared Ohio title after you pay the fees and taxes.
8) This is totally legal and worked for me, purchase insurance, install Ohio Plate and Tag and keep a copy of Insurance and Registration on the bike.
Done

THX Phil :thumbup: