Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:40 pm 

Looks like I may never get back to tuning my H2 this year :thumbdown: , weather is changing fast and work is CRAZY…
But I have two completely unrelated comments as I sit here thinking;
I switched to Yamalube from cheap mineral based 2 stroke oil, it smoked a lot and I thought I would try some semi synthetic, and there is less smoke.
But as I was contemplating what I will do with some stuff on it over the winter I noticed an oil leak…..Turns out it is 2 stroke oil and it is leaking from the fittings on the main oil line from the tank to the pump and the sight tube on the side of the tank.
No big deal, but it never happened with the other oil. Yamalube must really "creep" good or bad I don't know, just an observation.

The other unrelated comment is, the other day, for the umpteenth time, a guy I know said "ya, those bike were just throw aways you'll never keep pistons in it, especially the middle, I had one once and it would always hole the center piston"
Now I have no idea about how often Ill burn pistons, (or bend a rod, or blow the tranny, or whatever) but seems like EVERYONE owned one, and EVERYONE blew it up!! :crazy:
I like the "is that new" comment better :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:10 pm 

They are all upset cause they never knew how to tune something and always fouled plugs too. Back in the day I always heard at school cause I owned the same bike since then that I cheated when we raced. Now never mind they had a header, big cams, major ignitions, and lots of other things and all I had was 34 mikunis and a set of chambers just tuned no porting. Hell it has never had anything but a primer paint job but it still whooped their butts. Most of them if you ask had bought Honda inline fours and thought it was the best thing but like most of them I have heard the timing chain is flapping in the wind. I am surprised they were not telling you about the 150 mph wheelies and the speedometer going backwards cause they topped it out so the needle starts back to 0 mph. just my thoughts though. :mrgreen: :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:22 pm 

Interesting comments! Only a few of us bought, raced, and flogged the guts out of both a H1 and a H2, in pure ignorance (mostly!). And they were absolutely unbreakable. At the time it was the Ducatis, Nortons, Triumphs, etc, that had appalling reliability, not so much the Hondas, yet they were the one's who would look down on the "Jap crap". There are always experts who have never ridden a triple, that know all about them. I was filling up my ZX10r one day, and this guy told me, "you'll burn your @rse on those high-pipes, they're real bad for that!" I thought, "it's patently obvious you have never ridden one of these bikes!!" :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

If you had inherited a Yammi RD, then you would really be worried. Those guys are literally blowing them up on a weekly basis it seems. :wtf:

And the wives tales flourish with these bikes, and I'm sure many blew up, and many more will. My motto is not if, but when. Nature of the beast, unless you are a putterer. I cooked a piston in my recent rebuild from going on a diddly ride with the cafe group. Tootling around at 45 for almost an hour heat soaked the motor so bad, I stuck a piston. So I put a new one in. That's how it goes.

It's kinda like a women, you never know when she might go off, but you know at some point, she will....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:35 pm 

Rod is right - they're pretty bullet-proof. I poured 30wt motor oil in mine when I that's all I had (more than once), ran it for a year with no clutch cable (that was fun :shock: ) thank goodness for N1 shifting! 35 years now with my H2.......And I'm not the only one here who's had their triple a very long time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:51 am 

It will be interesting to see how it holds up. My supposedly bulletproof GS over the years I've had collapsed piston skirts, dropped valves, bent valves, broken valve springs,burned up a set of camshaft and rockers, and burned up a crankshaft. Some of it my fault and some of it for apparently no reason at all. And all the comments I get on that bike our "boy those things are bulletproof"....
:problem:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:11 pm 

Quote:
It's kinda like a women, you never know when she might go off, but you know at some point, she will....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh that's funny Moo..........except for when she is going off on you :lol:

I have been very lucky........never had an H2 leave me stranded...........did about 18000 miles on my first........maybe 3000 on this one

Of course there is the aspect of doing a lot of maintenance hours compared to riding.........which I enjoy..........last several months, there is nothing to fix.........just been riding it........gonna have to fix the tach.............going in the basement soon.........new tires, new SS bolts, etc......may pull the cylinders to have a look

That center cylinder thing is BS...........I read it all the time with a temp gun..........no significant difference at all........as long as your carbs are synced

They will always go thru pistons to some degree..........it's a two stroke.........no big deal

I went back to dino oil.........Spectro 2T...........IMHO.....I did not like the corrosion on my crank when I rebuilt it from the Klotz supertechniplate (%20 castor/%80 synthetic) on premix............every time I pull it apart, it has plenty of oil on everything...........the 3 line early pump system solved the smoke issue

Well good luck Demus.......may have a couple of weekends, but not many.........I think the 3rd weekend, I'm gonna break it down and put it up for the winter

I got a new window for my oil tank off of EBAY........I think some other bike uses them (Suzuki or something).........I also found a gouge in the crush washer for the inlet bolt to the pump that was leaking............put a new one in good to go.........those old pumps will dribble a little bit........that.s why some guys use the "Kotex" under the pump

THX Phil :thumbup: