Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brand New Guy…well
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 am 

Not new at being a man! :shock: Just brand new to the forum... :lol:

Howdy!

Steve

Post subject: Re: Brand New Guy…well
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:46 am 

Hi Steve. Do you have a triple?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:53 am 

Nope. I am in the mood to build a special. :idea: I'm here to soak in knowledge. :think:

Steve

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:01 am 

Cool. What kind of special? One of the best I've come across is an S3 with an H1 engine in it. There are a couple guys here who have them, and they combine power with great handling.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:16 pm 

Welcome. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:48 pm 

Welcome

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:21 pm 

Welcome, where are you located ?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:42 pm 

Tanks :mrgreen: for the welcomes.

Eventually once I thin the present herd a green, brown, maroon or other brilliant metallic green machine will take its place in the garage.

I like challenges and being a Yam guy mostly I want to do a triple. Now, a couple boys back in the seventies done a triple Yam in the Netherlands. Won a championship. Of course, mother Yam didn't like that and shut them down on support of any kind afterward though for 4 or 5 years they did sell these engines to sidecar racers.

I've thought for years about adding extra cylinder to an RD or RD LC set of cases. I have a stillborn horizontally opposed piston project I embarked on and already have a sliced single cylinder extra crank case and the magneto side of the crank.

However, I'm also intrigued by the V3 concept, primarily the narrow twin-esque frontal area of such a beast and the (to my pee-brain level of understanding) favorable dynamic balance with the offset center disposed third cylinder. Strangely enough Honda's NS 400 is such a configuration, but what really intrigued me was the straight across crank that supplied the rodage and pistonage to all three cylinders.

Simplicity.

That I like.

Steve

ps Californee is the place I am

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:28 pm 

Amboyy wrote:
I've thought for years about adding extra cylinder to an RD or RD LC set of cases.

There have been some RD cylinders that have been mated to the Kawi triple cases. There has also been talks that since the RD-LC cylinders are a pretty much bolt on to the RD cases that the LC cylinders can be put onto the Kawi triples cases as well. As far as I know no one has completed this project yet though.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:13 am 

I believe the triple crankcases, from what I've seen, are considerably different, particularly the transfer canals where the oiling holes would be on the top case. My interest is in checking out three cylinder cranks and then marrying the aspects of the target donor engine to the Yamaha cases of choice. That research is ongoing. Here are the possibilities as I currently see them:
1) LC bottom end and top end with aligned, pinned and welded LC donor third segment and an extra Yam crank wheel set with integral CDI magneto taper
2) Similar scenario but with a modified Kawasaki, Suzuki, or NSR crank
3) Yamaha 3XV TZR V-twin 250 engine with a third cylinder added next to the front offset cylinder and an extended form of the TZR crank ala scenario number 1 above, OR with the crank from an NSR and a big bore kit. This would be sort of a V3.
4) An NSR top case grafted onto an RD/RZ/RZV 500 set of cases. The challenge with this choice would be the sizeable offset of the rear cylinder. At that point might as well stick with the 4 cylinder concept though one attractive aspect is two contra rotating cranks could be employed, however the rear would be a single, and an offset one at that which would introduce a whole litany of undesirable behaviors and complication.

Were I to go old school as with number one, one deviation would be to make all, at least two,or one of the cylinders a reverse cylinder concept which in some ways mimics what Yamaha did with their YZR 500 back in the early eighties and would be even more different, plus it would simplify exhaust routing. The goal is to have two parallel exhaust pipes and one central one for symmetry (aesthetics) .

Steve