Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:01 pm 

I may have an opportunity to head overseas for awhile to Europe and just looking for some insight on it if I can. Offer has been made, but not sure I want it yet. Depends on the $ as usual among other things. Would be a great opportunity for me but at same time would be away from family, friends etc. Any Input appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:12 am 

how long and where?

ive been to italy, england, france for work.

ive also been to mexico city which i do NOT reccomend, ever. what a pit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:23 am 

Let's have some more detail - I've been to Europe 3 times, and can't wait to go again....admittedly not for work, tho!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:43 am 
Site Admin

Europe is a fantastic place to visit, but to live, no. At least for me. The "cool" wears off pretty quick.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:01 am 

I thought you pretty much lived on the Moon..............!! :? ( :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:19 am 

My daughter spent six weeks in the Czech Republic for college, and from what I've heard about her experience, she enjoyed every minute. In particular, she liked the art, food, people, and the fact that if your eyes are above the counter, you're old enough to buy beer. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:29 am 

I did 19 months in West Germany back in the day, after 3 months there's no place like home , not all bad fun to look back on but I felt like a foreigner over there :lol:

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:44 am 

In the late 70's, I lived in Sardinia and Naples (US Navy). I went to a number of F1 races and went to see the Ferrari and Lamborghini factories. I toured some of the great sites in Rome, Austria and such. I even saw the Harlem Globetrotters in Genoa. After 2 years I was ready to get home, but I like to go back every few years. I am brushing up on Italian for another trip. While I prefer the states, the bottom line is, it is what you make of it. I tried to get the most out of my stay while living there. The architecture in Prague is beyond belief!

75 H1
78 CB400II Hawk
78 KE175

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:15 am 

Depends on a lot of things. If it's a few months then go for it. If it is longer than say six months then you need to think hard about it. If this move part of a career track that your company is asking you to take then Refusing it can be detrimental to your progress within the company. If it is not part of a career track then it's a different story. You will become disconnected from your company headquarters and start to not be included in the decision making process. You may miss out on promotions as you might get overlooked. BUT your resume will look better for this experience.

On a personal level, you will get to experience different cultures and as the guys said, you will get out of it what you put into it. I have met some fantastic people on my stints in Europe and have made some good friends.

My company has a few operations in the EU and we often send guys out. Those on the short term trip (<6 months) enjoy he experience if they move past their need for home comforts. The ones that have gone out for a couple of years then returned did not advance very well because the US organization had moved on without them.

Ask yourself if you really are a traveller or a home body. You know the answer..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:17 am 

H1Steve wrote:
The architecture in Prague is beyond belief!

I had just lumped that in with "art" in my post above, but you're right... she brought back a lot of amazing photos of Prague. Here's an interesting one.