Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:57 am 

Jim wrote:
captainpooby wrote:
You still gain the mechanical advantage of the hydraulics. Sure you keep the actuator, but the hydraulics will remove the lever effort to operate it. Same as it overcomes the springs.

You can make a cable and hand lever have any mechanical advantage you like, same as a hydraulic system. The only thing you'll gain is getting rid of the cable friction and play. That may be a nice improvement, but it won't come close to the feeling of the real thing.

There are lots of reviews of the Magura unit on this page. Not a single complaint about its function. A few complaints about the install and the plastic line melting on the exhaust but everyone raves about how great it works. If the Chinese unit works half as good for a tenth the price I think I'll be ahead. :D

Unless a Chinese guy steals my money. :shock:

http://www.motosport.com/magura-usa-hydraulic-clutch-167

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:05 pm 

I agree with the reviews; this would work great on a dirt bike.
Tragically this conversation is about triples and I agree with Jim, it could replace a cable and bypass some parasitic loss.
I don't see it offering any advantage other than using hydraluics instead fo a cable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:57 pm 

I have Ned's hydraulic clutch and it's silky smooth with 5 Barnett's in place.
It may not be for everyone by the time you buy the slave, master and the line though. For me it was worth it!
Btw, cable routing makes a huge difference so with a hydraulic line and a ball bearing actuator, you'd have a close 2nd IMO.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:04 pm 

It's here. Looks OK, about like I'd expect from China I guess. Seems to work OK but I don't have a bike to mount it on and really test it.

Can anyone have a look and tell me how much cable travel there is down at the release on an H2? I'm getting about 9/16 travel on this thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:27 pm 

captainpooby wrote:
It's here. Looks OK, about like I'd expect from China I guess. Seems to work OK but I don't have a bike to mount it on and really test it.

Can anyone have a look and tell me how much cable travel there is down at the release on an H2? I'm getting about 9/16 travel on this thing.

Travel at the pin holding the cable clamp at the release is about 1/2 inch give or take a mm.

I'd be very interested to know the fluid output of that master cylinder. I built a hydraulic slave cylinder several years ago and installed it on my S2/H1 hybrid, but the V45 Magna master cylinder I used puts out way too much fluid so the clutch lever has a very short travel. It works, but it isn't very forgiving.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:21 am 

Jim wrote:
Magura makes a line of those at a pretty reasonable price, if you want a name brand. Going with a real hydraulic system is money better spent. A guy on the Canadian board made some slave cylinders for triples. I don't know if he has any left, but you could ask. I've had a hydraulic actuator on my H2 for 35 years and love it.

He is taking orders again.......
So come on, if 20 of the hyd actuators is ordered, a new batch will be made.

Please visit the Canadian board.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:55 am 

i have had done of those in a box for awhile (years).. wouldn't clear the carb on an h1.. and it leaked like crazy. just my .02

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:12 am 

m in sc wrote:
i have had done of those in a box for awhile (years).. wouldn't clear the carb on an h1.. and it leaked like crazy. just my .02

This one came from China with fluid in it and didn't leak anything. Hasn't leaked anything with me playing with it either...yet. It is China crap though so there's that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:31 am 

captainpooby wrote:

You still gain the mechanical advantage of the hydraulics. Sure you keep the actuator, but the hydraulics will remove the lever effort to operate it. Same as it overcomes the springs.

For the price of a cable, I think I might give it a shot. I'm more worried about losing my money in China. :lol:

Technically you are only seeing a net reduction in overall effort (to actuate the clutch) due to reduced loss from friction. Hard to escape the old "force x distance = work" whether it's hydraulic or cable. With the cable you can play with the effort as well, just takes some tinkering to find different lever and perch setup. The distance between the lever pivot and the bore where the end of the cable goes, affects this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:35 am 

Development thread: http://triplescanada.proboards.com/thre ... tch?page=5

If you want to order: http://triplescanada.proboards.com/thre ... s-clutches

:thumbup: