Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H1 Carbs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:13 pm 

Ok everyone knows fighting carbs that sat for 15 years is usually a lost cause, and knowing you cant get quality or original rebuilt parts for the Mikuni carbs. Id like to know what new carbs work best on a factory H1. Only mod would be bored slightly over factory.

Post subject: Re: H1 Carbs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

kawdoug wrote:
Ok everyone knows fighting carbs that sat for 15 years is usually a lost cause, and knowing you cant get quality or original rebuilt parts for the Mikuni carbs.

I disagree with that statement.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:09 am 
Site Admin

There are repop parts, not cheap though.

They are hard to work with, and newer carbs would be a plus, but need adapters.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:10 am 

so do I. only replaceable items would need be the float valve, needle and seat. maybe. gaskets, etc, regular serviceable items.

Ive saved them from 20 years in a junkyard.

as far as i know there are no modern alternative bolt-ons. you can fit rubber manifolds(machine aluminum) and fit some flatslides and get to jetting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:41 am 

I appriciate the input. I will have to think it over. Ive had fuel flow issues and its not the vent in the tank. I got repro floats but theyr not the same, theyr 2mm larger and have no stop tabs on them, also the needle valves arent the same either. I can set the floats at the proper level but still have intermittant fuel flow issues. Not to mention they hit / rub the body of the carb. And the fuel valve for the tank I rebuilt also and flows fine. Cant quite figure out whats going on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:10 am 
Site Admin

I'm not saying that you wouldn't be better off with 32 or 34mm carbs and the stock 500 carbs are certainly not my favorites. I just disagree with your statement about them being a "lost cause".

I don't know exactly what your issues are but the floats shouldn't be touching the float bowl and the needle/seat should be a 2.5, whatever type you are using. Non-standard floats & needle seat may mean that fuel level needs to be set rather than float height.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:39 am 

regardless, float level should be the same as the buoyancy of the float in relation to the needle. if your floats are touching, bend them in (or out) a bit so they dont. also make sure its not the gasket rubbing the float.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:17 pm 

I also have a suspicion that the ethonol being thiner has issues with seepage past the valve. But I know thats not the issue at this point. I will wait till I have everything else back together and worry about it then after further research !! Thanks again to all the guys here and vast expertise on these bikes. Couldnt do it with out you. Well I probably could just take alot longer lol like a year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:58 pm 

Hey Im baaack lol Looking for a center / left carb body vm-28sc marked iso or 1so on the carb body and a 5dj19 needle. Better yet the entire carb if anyone has one for sale to spare. Used needle would be ok don't wanna use the aftermarket stuff if I don't have to, after more delays in finishing this thing I hope this winter will be it so I can ride it this spring. The evil and child custody battles drained the bike fund until recently. Have my daughter living with me now !!!! yay !!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:45 am 

when I put back on the road my 69 H1 at the beginning of the 21st century (around 2004) the bike hasn't fire up since 1974, cleaned the carbs and still have them working (w/o changing any parts) after 35.000 kilometers I have ridden since 8-)