Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:34 pm 

Ric wrote:
Wash out with Dawn detergent. .

Just to add to that Ric, I have used Dawn for years but I recently bought the new "Platinum Power Clean" variety and it is even better.
Cuts grease and grime wicked good.

(even works on the dishes) :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:34 pm 

I used apple cider vinegar, and a handful of nuts and bolts.

I let it soak for a week, and shook it for a few minutes a couple times a day.

Worked great

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:09 am 

If you want to do it fast and easy, try this: acetone, then muriatic acid, then cold water & baking soda, then alcohol rinse. Takes about an hour.

start with petcock removed and plug the hole with a properly sized rubber stopper.

add 1 quart of acetone to tank and plug the top hole with rubber stopper.

Keep your hand over the rubber stopper at all times, as the tank will build some pressure as you roll the acetone around inside.

Roll around the acetone for a minute or two. SLOWLY vent the top stopper and watch your face as the vapors escape.

Look around inside with a flashlight to ensure all the varnish is gone. If not, dump the used acetone and repeat with fresh.

At this point, your tank may already be spotless. If you do have rust, then use about 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid and roll it around inside for a few minutes.

Again, keep the stopper secure with your hand and watch your face at all times. Be smart when using strong chemicals. I like to be outside with the hose running.

Rinse out the acid thoroughly with cold water. add some baking soda to the cold water to help neutralize the acid.

Dump out the water and use some alcohol as a final rinse to absorb any remaining water. Dump the alcohol and blow dry with compressed air.

SPOTLESS TANK I charge $150

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:03 am 

I like muriatic also, but I don't use it straight. Too dangerous. I mix it 50/50 with water. It'll take a little longer but the fumes are not nearly as toxic. Still don't breathe right over the tank. After all that, POR15 or caswell liner.

ALWAYS POUR ACID INTO WATER, not the other way around.

Lane