Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:38 am 

Okay....this is probably a pipe dream.... I would like to think I could take two weeks off next year to ride and explore a little of Colorado. I figure three days to get from north Alabam to Colorado Springs. So I'd have a solid seven days in Colorado. A few ideas I have now are:

Pikes Peak
Royal Gorge
Leadville
Aspen
Telluride
Silverton
Million Dollar Hwy
Measa Vedra

I'd like some suggestions on other places to visit South of I-70 and West of I-25.
Small towns to spend the night. Good places to eat/drink. Sites to see. Best motorcycle roads, etc...

Maybe when I can set a date we could pull together a meeting of folks in the area.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:34 am 

Hey Ric, Should be a great trip! If you're in Colorado you should see Rockie Mountain National Park http://www.nps.gov/romo/index.htm ,50 over Monarch Pass through Gunnison is nice too. You've got most of the rest covered.

Utah is also beautiful with the ever changing landscape.

If you do go to Utah you have to ride 191 to Moab (Arches N.P) http://www.nps.gov/arch/index.htm ,also while there Canyonlands N.P. http://www.nps.gov/cany/index.htm

From 191 to 95 up to Hanksville then 24 to Torrey UT. is absolutely stunning, just gas up at 191 & 95 because the isn't much of anything out there. From Torrey head south on 12 (sweeper madness) towards Escalante close to Bryce Canyon N.P.
After Bryce Canyon I started heading north towards Yellowstone N.P. which is another must see. Then I started towards home from there.

I went from the Toronto area down to the Gap (2 Day ride with a late start) and then from the Gap to Denver in 3 days but by Interstate just to get there. Just over 13000 Kms in 17 days total. It was a great trip I'd like to do again!

3 days from your place should be a breeze!

Here's a couple of shots...

Arches N.P.

Mesa Verde

On 95 UT. in the middle of nowhere

Beartooth Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:40 pm 

Ric, you really cant go wrong anywhere out there? Just make it a point to stay off the interstates. Its all beautiful riding when you're used to the flat barren wasteland of Minnesota.

A couple of friends and I did it on a CBR, FZR and ZX7 a few years ago..Ok, like 20. :shock:
We ended up staying in Durango a couple of extra days and using that as a "base". Tons of nice roads in that area to explore.

as stated Utah is nice as well as is Montana and Wyoming. Will do it again someday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:05 am 

Thanks guys.....huh...I thought BarryB would chime in.....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:00 pm 

Sorry Ric - I don't check Meets, Rides etc much.

Like everyone said - and the Million $ hwy is AWESOME - hit it coming or going - a MUST.

Pikes Peak is my backyard. Try and schedule a stop over at my place for either a meal and if you want we have two spare bedrooms - you're very welcome to stay!

Barry@Boulier.com or my mobile 719-290-1174.
Hope to see ya!
bb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:08 pm 

H1aToH1 wrote:
+100 on "in Colorado you can't go wrong" AND the comments on UTAH! Unless I scanned over it, the Great Sand Dunes Nat. Park in southern central Colorado is amazing (I believe on, or just off of US160). If we do get a small Colorado gathering next season, I could at least drive up in my 4-wheeler!

The sand dunes are crazy! It's like being in the Sahara - spooky how it is. I was there in December a few years back, was snowing in a dune desert - very surreal.

Just outside of it is an alligator farm - and that's also very interesting. There's a hot spring on the property and they built these canals where the gators are, so picture snow and gators on the prowl - Gotta love Colorado!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:23 pm 

BarryB wrote:
H1aToH1 wrote:
+100 on "in Colorado you can't go wrong" AND the comments on UTAH! Unless I scanned over it, the Great Sand Dunes Nat. Park in southern central Colorado is amazing (I believe on, or just off of US160). If we do get a small Colorado gathering next season, I could at least drive up in my 4-wheeler!

The sand dunes are crazy! It's like being in the Sahara - spooky how it is. I was there in December a few years back, was snowing in a dune desert - very surreal.

Just outside of it is an alligator farm - and that's also very interesting. There's a hot spring on the property and they built these canals where the gators are, so picture snow and gators on the prowl - Gotta love Colorado!

we hit the dunes too.. bad memories

like a moron, I decided to take my boots off as to not get sand in them. After an hour or so of "hiking", I had blisters all over my feet. :banghead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:13 pm 

BarryB wrote:

Like everyone said - and the Million $ hwy is AWESOME - hit it coming or going - a MUST.

Pikes Peak is my backyard. Try and schedule a stop over at my place for either a meal and if you want we have two spare bedrooms - you're very welcome to stay!

Hope to see ya!
bb

Thanks for the invite Barry...like I posted, this trip might be a pipe dream but I'm going to try my best to make it workout. My planning thus far has me arriving in the state in Colorado Springs.

Also, you should get use to clicking on "View New Post" up near the top right of the page.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:05 am 

Ric wrote:
BarryB wrote:

Hope to see ya!
bb

Thanks for the invite Barry...like I posted, this trip might be a pipe dream but I'm going to try my best to make it workout. My planning thus far has me arriving in the state in Colorado Springs.

Also, you should get use to clicking on "View New Post" up near the top right of the page.

Hope you make it - we're in summer riding weather now and you sure don't want to do it in the winter. It's a wonderful state with lots to see and do.

Cody :banghead :banghead :banghead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:04 am 

Sort of related:
If you don't want to ride from home, there are bike rental companies in CO.
I rented a dirt bike about 5 years ago and they had a variety of street bikes to rent as well.
Maybe a club ride without triples?