Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:05 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
BarryB wrote:
H2RTuner wrote:
You rode your "Fart Buoy"? How really...well, uh, gee, ahem....really, really.......'potato'.

I like the Potato Dave, plus it's the only bike my wife will ride on.

I wonder """""wwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy"""""""""?............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah that's a good one Moo. Dave, I had Liz on the back of the H2 years ago, I had it WFO and totally pegged as fast as it could go. We got home and she did not talk to me for a long time...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:50 pm 

SEE, it worked! Silence ensued, didn't it, peace and quiet, and NO "Honey-Doo's". Build her, her own S series bike, so she can ride along with you, on her own bike.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:59 am 

Apologies for my ignorance but what's all that friendly chat about Hurley Durleys?

Here they are very much older papas motorcycles, just one brand among the others. Of course guys like me who do like the American way of life and older American cars do like the HD:s as well, and being as an older papa it's a good addition to my fleet. Nice cruiser and long-haul machine.
Some youngsters have very loud exhaust on them but they are just minority, usually creating smiles and questions like "whats wrong with your bike, you know its still very slow no matter how loud it is".
Couple of bad boys gang do exist also here and naturally nobody will mess with them but they are just small clubs. They have loud HD:s.

For those who want to build their bikes HD:s are fully accepted as "raw material", nobody thinks someone has spoilt his nice original HD when customizing it (exept me!). Lots of ready made bolt-on bling-bling available.

What I am trying to say it is not a big deal here if someone likes to ride a HD, we all have different taste. For me it is great as long as it is on 2 wheels - but the absolute favourite is of course H2.

So please enlighten me, what am I missing here?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:18 am 

90% of Harleys here have open pipes, and are owned by "wanna-be" bikie types - you know, open face gutted black helmet, lumberjack shirt, beard, and over-shoulder hession-bag, (strangely enough!), etc, etc. They are identical "rebels", and of course, image is everything. Occasionally you see an old bloke, or a couple on a big Harley, or a young bloke on a stock Sportster, and good-luck to them, but the majority of them are noisy dick-heads! Sorry if I have offended any one! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:37 am 

two things, firstly, my wife favorite bike as passenger is my 69 H1 and she went one time on my 996 as passenger and said never again.
Secondly, most people I met on the roads are HD guys who did long travel too sometime to go to an HD meeting as me to a KT meeting: respect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:42 am 

Just light banter about HD's - and I certainly don't mind. There's a lot of us here with Harley's, and I bought mine for a lot of reasons - high on that list is long-haul trips and the utility. Heck, I can hook up my trailer, pack it full of camping gear and ride a couple of thousand miles through Colorado. Something you can't do on a sport bike. Plus I even go shopping all the time, fill the trailer with groceries, sometimes cement and lumber from the local Box store - something you can do on most bikes - but I can and I do :clap: But on this board - just about everyone is an enthusiast and I love that here.

Why a Harley instead of a metric cruiser? Easy - I don't like them. Some will say they're too expensive, and I'll agree they're over-priced but I like it. Some will say it's old technology - I'll argue against that. Old does not necessarily mean bad. Since I do all my own work I like the ease and compartmentalization of the design. I don't have to tear down the engine to fix a transmission issue or upgrade that bit or this. Most of the major stuff on the engine can be done with it still in the frame. Face it, you don't buy a Corvette or Porsche to haul groceries or take the kids shopping. If I wanted to zoom through the mountain curves here I'd buy a sport-bike, it's just not what I'm into right now.

Now the flip-side of the Harley equation is the Harley Posers - I find them irksome. A "poser" is a non-enthusiast who goes out and buys a new Harley loaded with all the latest bling, they buy all the newest leather bits, maybe put a few miles a year on the bike and has the local shop do all the maintenance - and they consider themselves kings of the road. I kind of laugh - there's a really big show here every summer - almost like a mini Sturgis. The city closes a dozen blocks of down-town, (Last year was something like 8,000 bikes) - bikes of all types come and of course a lot of harleys and Posers. This last group cracks me up, here we are, at 6,000 foot elevation, it's 100 degree's outside with sun that will roast a chicken, and here are these posers fully dressed in their black leather chaps, vests, coats etc.

Normally I just get a laugh and say to myself people are entitled to do what they want. BUT like last year at the Gap this it can be dangerous too. We were stuck behind a group of what I'll call "posers", they would not move over and let us by. In fact they were intentionally going incredibly slow and weaving through the whole lane to keep us behind them. I did finally pass them and knowing they would come to the hotel/store for gas and what-not I waited for them. Sure enough they showed up and parked, I walked over and politely told them about courtesy of the road and the potential danger they were causing to other riders. They in turn told me (and a very rude manner) it was a public road and they could do what they want. OK gloves off, lots of screaming both ways - almost came to blows and and that's fine by me - I'm not afraid of another assault charge. But there was no fight in the end, and I was reminded we were guests at the Hotel and then I felt bad. So next time I'll wait till I see this again at the Lookout or some other spot not at the hotel :thumbup:

Edit: I have to say my H2 has always been the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. I've owned and ridden a lot of bikes over the years and since 1978 my H2 has never left me without a big grin after a ride.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:57 am 

A REAL Harley rider would have kicked some a$$. 8-)

No, I do agree with you Barry. :shh:

I own a Vulcan for my bigger bike. My buddy owns a Harley. The quality is not even close on my Vulcan to his Harley. The ride is much better also. I hope to upgrade to a Harley in the next couple years. :thumbup: $$$$$$$

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:17 am 

Wait 'till you upgrade to your new H2 before you decide. :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 am 

Out of curiosity, I looked at the Vulcan 1700 and Harley Street Glide. At a glance the HD is only $500 more. it weighs less, there's probably a lot of pros and cons to compare all manufacturer models, I guess there's nothing better than a test drive though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:19 am 

Jim wrote:
Wait 'till you upgrade to your new H2 before you decide. :P

Yes, but that is different Jim. Hopefully soon it will be on the road. :roll:
Like Barry says, it's nice to have a bigger bike for longer trips and rides with the wife!

I really want a Street Glide, 2008 gold and black. The hard bags and small fairing with a radio! :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next