Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: H2 flatspot issues
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:31 am 

BBP wrote:
H2B780......thank you !........I have looked at the K2tec pipes a few times, the non cross are about $700 and the cross over type in SS are something like $1800 I beleive........I think I heard they are a mid range street type HP pipe.....that is kind of what I am going for on my bike........Fast By Gast has a new pipe on their website, it is quite a bit fatter and sharper cone angles, also looks shorter than my earlier FBG pipes.........problem is, they are uglier than sin :lol: .........somebody tried them and said they really produced good tourque and were a big improvement of the early ones. My bike comes on about 5500 RPM, it's like you flipped a switch.......pulls strong to around 7000 or more.......must be the pipes :)

Jorgen......thank you for the education and tuning secrets :!:

That makes a lot of sense.......squish heads=faster combustion, therefore expansion follows sooner; Compensate by Retard Ignition to start sequence later=More Heat to pipes, therefore better and faster pressure wave.......Retard at higher RPM's ;)

Also makes good sense.......Low speed (3000 to 4500 rpm guessing).........advance timing on purpose=early combustion, then expansion completes, weaker pulse wave to pipes which are out of phase at this lower RPM=less pushing of gasses back into cranckase from transfer port. ;)

Very Very interesting :thumbup:

So then, until I get a Zeel installed and set up this summer........with squish heads and my setup.......retard Ignition from 23 degrees to ?.....something like 21 now (guessing)........and yes I know, this all depends on RPM, driving, etc :?:

What do you mean by Parallel ?........Parallel to the piston dome shape such as Wossner is 13 degrees.........is there a benifit to dual squish bands at different angles ?.......I have read that more squish band is used 70% in a hotrod motor......40% to 50% in a street motor

Do you run leaded race gas in that 109 hp bike ?

I have read some of your posts and seen Dyno info......good stuff.....you use spacers on some of your cylinders I beleive to jack them up and increase duration....and cut piston skirt :thumbup:

I hope I am not wearing you out with questions, it is great to understand some of this.....reading Gordon Jennings can be hard to understand to a degree......and most tuners just won't comment (other than the triple guys :thumbup: )

THX Phil :clap:

Hi Phil.

If you buy a Zeel, they (Borat) provide a basic ignition set up for H2. Use that as a start. I think that is logic since you do not have raised transfers nor raised exhaust.
That means, you probably do not have much of an torque dip (flat spot) at all. BUT, you may still try, let's say, 27 degrees advance from midrange (3500 rpm) to powerband starts. (guess you're on pipe from 5000 rpm?

You MUST retard a lot before max torque rpm is reached, if not you may damage your motor. To be on the safe side, set the ignition to 23 degrees from the point you are on your pipe. And this is IMPORTANT: DO NOT TRUST YOUR TACH!!!! YOUR TACH MAY TELL YOU 5500 RPM WHEN HITTING POWERBAND, WHILE YOU REALLY HAVE 5000 RPM. I strongly advice you running a dynorun prior to any adjustments, then you see from both hp curve and torque curve what rpm's you have all time.

THEN, you may, based on that dyno sheet, start to play with your zeel. My test cylinders go from 30 to 16-17 degrres, don't remember.

But that does not mean you should do same, not at all. My jollymoto hits a lot harder than your pipes, due to they beeing fatties with a lot of volume, and most important, the last cone is very steep providing a VERY strong returning wave. Good for peak power, but fucks up mid range. VERY noticable on my test cylinders since the transfer duration is quite high. My Higgspeed has a lot less peak power, but 12 hp more hp when pipe hits compared to jolly, and the 12 hp WITHOUT ignition advance. The pipe design really makes the engine characteristic more than anything else.

My 109 rwhp ran pump gas. Today, they give 90 with Higgspeed, stock iginition and stock heads providing 145 psi compression. Still, the mid range when pipe hits is 12 hp better than with Jollymoto, and both at about same rpm as the Jollymoto also have quite tuned length. For fun, I put on the very short Figarolies, they peaked at 10000!!!!!!! 1500 rpm MORE than the jollymoto, about 1800 rpm more than the higgspeed. But with less power than the Higgspeed gave. Well, I learn a lot doing all these tests on my dyno.
And by adding zeel, peak power went from 104 to 109 rwhp. The torque dip also improved, but not in the same league as changing to Higgspeed. Not at all. Higgspeed more or less cured my flat spot issue, but cost some peak power as said.

I have not tried spacers between cyl and crankcase. But I may do that to prevent the piston edge to be 2mm ABOVE transfer floor at BDC. That is bad for flow, as the flow rate hits the maximum mass transport at approximately BDC when ON AN EFFECTIVE PIPE. I do not talk about the rpm prior to that, when the engine acts as a "pump", not as a resonator. So, I belive the scavenging pattern will improve by not having the 2mm piston edge right in the face of flow at BDC. We'll see.

Parallell: Same angle in squish band area at both head and piston.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:24 pm 

Jorgen

This explains a lot :!: and gives a good idea for a baseline......yes tach is inaccurate, I have an issue with mine, was working fine last summer, dirt in the oil, stopping at 5000rpm since motor rebuild, will send to Don Fulsang for repair .....still inacurate, I beleive Zeel Programmer has tach function.........also, they make Dyno's here in Dayton Ohio for motorcycles, 5 miles from my house....maybe I could borrow one for test :arrow: http://www.daytondyno.com/services.html

I will investigate VDCI-30 unit, Fast From Past (Jim Hinshaw H2 road racer) is the US seller in Florida or ask Borat about H2 basic map :thumbup:

I really have no "Flat Spot" with my setup......around 3750 RPM you can tell the pipes are off and out of phase.......you are correct, at 5000 the pipes start to hit.......5500 really goes from there.........set timing at 23 or less than at this point (5000 if start of MAX Torque)and then retard from there as RPM's go up.......understood (to prevent Detonation I would assume) :)

Understood on Pipe Volume, was looking at H2 Dragbikes today, Huge Fat Pipes and somewhat short.......good when in phase, compounds problem when not in phase (low to Mid Range).......depending on design, length and cones........my pipes seem to pull strong in the midrange at 5000+ (which is what I want, streetbike hotrod, not a dragbike)

I mix airplane AVGAS 100 octane leaded (33%) with Shell 93 (66%) octane with 10% ethanol.........I had 154 lbs compression, should be same with squish heads per John Aylor.......will be .044" between piston and squish (.028 deck and .016 copper gasket)......Interesting on Pipe comparison.......much tuning to be found there for application :)

Do you start with a more retard at idle up to say 2500 rpm (easy starting ?) then start advance up to pipe hit max tourque around 5000 then start retard phase from that point increasing retard to MAX RPM. ;)

Obviously this would effect jetting and would be seen on the dyno.......I wonder if it would need to be leaned out in the middle (due to more effective scavanging and cooler exhaust pulse) and richen up high (due to pipes in phase and to produce more heat with later start of ignition.......I may be wrong on that......trying to think it out in my head :think: )

Must be Leo with the cylinder spacers

Thank You Jorgen :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am 

So.. After i good lesson in inlet timing/design from Jorgen and Nev. i calc. mine to be 173,83 deg!! Way to much and according to nev more sutible in a 125cc gp racer! :o I'm used to work with snowmobile engines (3 cyl. casereed) so i've never messed with inlet timing before and belived the 6mm. cutout pistons bike came with was right on the money! :banghead About inlet flow, look at pics on page 2 and you will se cyl. are milled to angle up carbs so flow should be good, right?

But this is all good news, now i prob. know why my bike is so lame before 6000.. :lol: And yes Nev, it hits very hard after 6000 :D About carbs, i run lectron 44s now which took away the flatspot and tamed the "hit" a little. With the tm38's (snowmob. rack carbs) i used to run before, flatspot was really bad but response was much better over and under flatspot. Never got the jetting right on thoose, now i know why.. I think i will go with them again after i lowerd
inlet timing as they are now bored out to 40mm. should be fun! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:09 pm 

While you measure the port timing for the inlet, what are the other durations? Seems you have the flat spot sorted anyway after reading thru all this stuff......

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:36 pm 

When I was a lad, I cut about 8mm off the inlet skirts of my '70 H1........... It made crazy power from 9,000 to 9250rpm, and got about 8m.p.g...... :crazy: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:51 am 

RODH2 wrote:
When I was a lad, I cut about 8mm off the inlet skirts of my '70 H1........... It made crazy power from 9,000 to 9250rpm, and got about 8m.p.g...... :crazy: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:49 am 

We must have a drink one day, Jean-Pierre!! (Sp.!) :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:19 am 

RODH2 wrote:
:lol: :lol: I'll bet you'r not trying that again.. Good story tho :thumbup:

Neville Lush wrote:
While you measure the port timing for the inlet, what are the other durations? Seems you have the flat spot sorted anyway after reading thru all this stuff......
Yepp alot of reading here.. :roll: Ex.port is 198deg. and main transfer is 127 sub.transfer is 129 but i never degreed inlet at that time.. and now with thoose cylinders sitting on the shelf right now, i calculated the inlet timing on a online software. Even calced the ex.duration at the same time and came up with just over 195deg. Don't know how accurate that program is tho.. Deck hight is 0,6mm btw. And inlet portwidth is 49,5mm. hight from top barrel is 96,5 so it seems like someone dressed it a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:59 am 

RODH2 wrote:
We must have a drink one day, Jean-Pierre!! (Sp.!) :D
hope we will do but I don't expect to go downunder before 10 years when I will be retired 8-)
and in an other hand,years ago during the 70s I went with a friend on his RD 250 yamaha to see an other one (H2 racer like me). When we staredt to go back home and kicked we heard a big crak.I put the heads and barrels off and I saw that one piston broke on the inlet side just above the two kind of holes used for reeds.I dissassembled the whole engine, put off the mettallic small parts, cut the broken piston a little more above, did the same on the other piston. 2 hours after we fired up. I rode the bike and the engine worked as before :shock: even with so big cutout :wtf:
funny both are still friends, both are stilll bikers, both are still riden Kawasaki but only one still riding an H2 8-)

Last edited by husson73 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:05 am 

I (we) have retired this month, and a trip to Europe is on the agenda...... Perhaps for us Kawasaki Triples People a trip to Deals Gap, 20016/17 is not out of the question... time waits for no man! :think:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next