Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:04 pm 

A couple of things......

Since fork braces are not currently available for the '73-'75 H1/H2/Z1 forks, I thought I would check in here to see how much interest there might be in having a short run of custom billet braces machined. I know that it is one part that I personally have sought after for quite some time.
A few years back, I was in brief contact with Jim Hinshaw (Tarozzi US distributor) about dimensions,etc.. But it appears that Tarozzi is staying out of the H1/H2/Z1 game.

I am just in the preliminary stages of design, etc; and cost (at the current time) is merely a ballpark figure. Obviously, the more I order, the less they will cost over all. These will be all machined from billet.. where the Tarozzi's are cast aluminum. More than likely will be a 5 piece design (for ease of mounting) with adjustable top plate to help ensure proper fork alignment and eliminate chance of "stiction", but that is about where the similarities will stop. Part will likely be anodized in a choice of 5 colors (clear, black, red, blue, gold), but I still have to look into cost and logistics on this as well.

The main thing is that I do not want to be stuck with a pile of unsold parts as I see so many times when people try to bring a new thing to market in this teeny-tiny pool of consumers. (Nev's primary gears are a great example :roll: )

Tarozzi sells their fork braces through Jim Hinshaw at $99.00 a pop, which is a bargain for what you get.
There is no way we will be able to pull off that kind of pricing. It will likely be closer to 3X's that number when all is said and done. :shock:
But... the more commitment, the less the final cost will be.

So, question is... Is there a market for a $300.00 H1/H2/Z1 forkbrace????? :shock:

Part #2
Billet rear brake stay.

This will replace the stock (heavy, and usually corroded) rear brake stay on all triples.

Even if there is no interest, I am definitely going to be having a (very small) run of these made as I want (need?) to use them on a few of my projects. :thumbup:
I figured as long as I'm doing that, might as well go BIG and see if anybody else might be interested?
Final design once again not finalized, but rest assured it will be a "trick-looking" bolt-on brake-stay. These too will be anodized, but still have to get that pricing before I can put a hard number out there. Probably in that $50-$70 range (depending on quantity ordered and anodizing/shipping costs)

Any interest in these??

and FWIW.. all of the above will be made here in Minnesota, USA.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:26 pm 

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll follow this thread, that's for sure!

Jørgen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:22 pm 

I was planning on making a fork brace for my h1. I would have been in for one if you can get them priced at $99, but I would still have to make it myself for $300, thats a lot of dough.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:56 pm 

I hear ya Oxford. Believe me, I would struggle to spend that kind of $$ as well.
But..as stated above, that $300.00 is a HIGH ballpark. I maybe should have just waited until I recieved all of my numbers (anodizing, final design/programing costs), but I'd love to finally see a nice looking, lightweight (not those cheeze bag '70's braces) come to market for the H-series bikes, so just figured "screw it" and posted what info I have to date. :lol:

I've received a couple of PM's in regards to this, and if any of you Machinists/Programing types out there have any ideas, I welcome them.

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:34 am 

have you considered maple or walnut as a material? :mrgreen:

j/k

:wave:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:45 am 

m in sc wrote:
have you considered maple or walnut as a material? :mrgreen:

j/k

:wave:

Ha!.. as I was going to make a 3D model out of wood before submitting final design...but probably basswood or poplar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:07 am 

I don't think your $300 price is high ballpark at all unless you are going to move them for zero profit. I priced having some made up over the summer (with a rough sketch based on a similar design) and for 10 parts or less the figure was near that each. I said piss on it and opted to use the taller KZ1000 lowers and a Tarozzi Brace.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 am 

garand1944 wrote:
I don't think your $300 price is high ballpark at all unless you are going to move them for zero profit. I priced having some made up over the summer (with a rough sketch based on a similar design) and for 10 parts or less the figure was near that each. I said piss on it and opted to use the taller KZ1000 lowers and a Tarozzi Brace.

Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee I wont be putting my kid through college on making a handful of forkbraces. :lol:
The cost of doing anything here in the USA is so freaking HIGH due to so many "political/environmental" factors that I'm surprised anybody attempts to do anything here any more. :banghead

I am still going to press forward with this though. If I can keep the design simple (from a manufacturing standpoint), and yet have it stand out as far as performance/appearance is concerned, I think enough will sell to warrant me spending the time.... Plus, I want one. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:43 am 

scrambler73 wrote:
Plus, I want one. :lol:

THAT is reason enough :D For my purposes the KZ lowers were a better choice anyway with them being longer there is a little more inherent rigidity. But the street bike would sure enjoy a blingy brace since he runs sans fender :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:31 pm 

If the pricing comes down some, I may still be interested. My only request is to still be able to use the stock dust covers like the Tarozzi's do.