Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:38 am 

ALTERED IMAGE wrote:
Bingo on the nut
Good call on wire temp fix

cliff

ps
weld softening? NO

these things were hammering each other HARD for a while

they were both hard and now, harder, and harder to fix

Cliff what do you mean Weld softening? No

Talked to the Machinest yesterday and he thinks my plan is a good one. He looked at the current sprocket and said WOW this is really soft. He figures either from the welding or it is on purpose so the sprocket wears and does not beat the shaft to death.

Here is another video, the firsts sprocket is a Jt the other a stock Kawi. The stock Kawasaki fits pretty snug. I found it interesting that a jt sprocket supposedly made to fit has this much slop. Anyone else seen a new sprocket this sloppy on the splines??
Looks like I will be using OEM sprockets for this project, I got these from our good friend Johhny O and he is sending me another one! Gotta love triple guys!! Ask and you shall receive ....soemtimes :lol:

https://youtu.be/9DLs899vibE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:07 pm 

Demus,
As far as I can tell, the welding should not soften the hub of the sprocket, If welded with precautions.
If so hub was soft and was hammering, it would not hammer that shaft spline in the first place.

The teeth may or may not be softened, as they MAY be induction hardened, depending on alloy.

I say, the sprocket spline was not fitted to the shaft spline in the first place, mutually destroying each other to this point. Both hard, both wear.

cliff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:40 pm 

It was not installed properly I know that for sure now.... so it’s my fault partially.
This time will be better.

What precautions for welding... just get the heat right and weld either quickly or a little at a time and let it cool??
I know if your a good welder you can control the HAZ better. He’s a good welder, I’m not I’d have the thing red hot :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:03 am 

Welders who know their stuff will use a copper or other heat sink on susceptible areas.
Also, like you mentioned, limit heat/maximize penetration.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:16 am 

Might ask about "fluid flux welging'. Done under a liquid, might be good for this application.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 am 

FIXED!!
The splines and teeth are still very hard, standard file won't bit in all. We used a product called Coldshield its a weird putty that you pack around were your welding and it takes the heat and does not let it transfer. You can see the white staining on it from the stuff, It seems to work well.
Managed to grab about 3/16" more spline on the shaft, machined down the collar to accommodate the wider spline area on the sprocket.
Looks great!
ImageH2 750 offset sprocket by Joe Herriges, on Flickr

Its nice and snug now:
https://youtu.be/HkOffFqkJ4M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Good to see! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 am 

Worked perfect, nice tight fit, I used a oversized washer with a splined washer that fit the spines of the shaft to keep it in place while I tightened it down. So now all the torque is on the sprocket and spacer. New seals. And I refit my allen set screw to keep the nut in place. The set screw is into the sprocket to the red line in the photo and locktighted into place.

ImageUntitled by Joe Herriges, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by Joe Herriges, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 am 

The Allen set screw idea is brilliant, ONKY one issue I see, better to set it on a flat "flute" of the nut, than the tip of tow of them. Of course,,who knew where they'd end up. Me, I like it, but 'Overkill Dave' would have drilled for two, 180 degrees apart.

Still, GREAT JOB, sir.