Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROD'S H2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:53 pm 

Mmmmmmmmmmmm GPz900r, loved my 900r, I had one of the first into the country.

1973 H2-A
2000 F650GS BMW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:33 pm 

Jim wrote:
I see you had your railroad track wheels on the H2 at the time.

People kept telling me you could make a Triple handle "like it was on rails........", so I thought I would give it a go! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:01 pm 

BazNSW wrote:
Mmmmmmmmmmmm GPz900r, loved my 900r, I had one of the first into the country.

Mine was an '85 Baz. I really liked that bike but for me it was big, L-O-N-G, and heavy, but a great performer. The thing that made it for me was how quickly it would steer with that fat 16" front wheel. A standard bike went 105MPH average around the Isle of Man TT course, which was getting up there at the time, 1984.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:21 pm 

It's funny though, as fast as they were, they weren't as good a track bike as the FZ750 or GSXR750.

1973 H2-A
2000 F650GS BMW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:18 pm 

No, it's a classic case of a really good street bike not translating to the race-track. 550lbs, 59" wheelbase, and a big heavy lump of an engine conspired against it for track use. Fun in the high speed twisties with that front end tho!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:47 am 

a good RG 500 gamma will be faster on a track at this period 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:06 pm 

RODH2 wrote:
I have always had Kawasaki Sports bikes, had some great bikes, so it's interesting (to me anyway!) that the H2 is the one that I keep putting at No.1. I Had a red H1 in '70, and that was good, but it has always been about the H2. This Pic. is a couple of years ago, just reorganizing the shed!!
I don't know why people block out the number plates, but it "looks" like I know what I am doing! :lol:

Sooo nice, ROD !

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970
Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, 1992

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:05 am 

Jumping around a bit...when I built the forks, I pulled the parts out of the Stash......
But I think there was a change in early production to the fork piston, like so... (poor pic. but you get the idea)
I can't find it referenced in any service bulletins, they only refer to the steel fork internals in'74. So I built the forks with the later piston, vis.
Other than that, I built the forks to standard specs to start with, I only go about 150lbs soaking wet, and I cannot recall too many problems with H2 forks back in the day....(it was a looong time ago!)
I used about 10% more of a modern fork oil...121/2 W ( :think: ). So if anyone knows more about the pistons, feel free to chime in! Just thinking back, the alloy H2 forks were, at the time, a BIG improvement on the fish-oil filled steel things they used on the H1, but we will see!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:11 pm 

Rod, not sure but Jeff "may" still have an extra set of his machined adapters to allow the use of the knock-off emulators...? http://www.kawi2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10247

Shown with the emulators sourced from https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-damper-valve-pr-front-forks-77-84-oem-1t3-23170-00-00.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:16 am 

Thanks for that, kawi3. I'll start with the stock set up, but may look in that direction, if things get iffy. I haven't actually ridden a Triple with anything but standard forks, but I have a ZX10r, and I couldn't tell you what the forks are like on that, because I have never had to think about them! :think:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next