Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: It's a start.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:32 am 

RODH2 wrote:
A H2 engine will slot in there nice, you will need a couple of down tubes, tho!

I'm thinking about mounting the engine from the top of the cylinder heads. Use longer chromoly studs, drill out the top of the main cylinder nuts and use a second nut above. I've seen pics of a couple done this way. I'm still not sure on the engineering soundness of doing it this way though but it seems like it might be easier.

The plan is to use the large frame mounting holes to hold rubber mounts for the front. Either with a cross tube and down tubes or a cross tube to head mounts. If I use down tubes, the rubber mounts could be done quite easily as well without using those holes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:38 am 

I bought an H1 from a guy a couple of years ago that had this sitting in his garage...

he told me that he had an old KZ550 laying around and wrecked polaris 700 sled behind the barn (you can't swing a dead cat around up here without hitting a wrecked polaris, something or other....)
The guy is a machinist by trade, so making a bunch of parts was not a big deal. I asked about the "stunter" sprocket, and he said that it had to be that big due to the clutching? According to him, top speed was only about 120, but it got there in a nano-second.......if the tire hooked up. (stock 120 spec KZ wheel/tire..lol)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:51 am 

Leon wrote:

Yeah, and imagine the looks on peoples faces at the local meeting place when you get ready to leave and you yank on that pull starter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:48 pm 

Imagine the look on his face when his pants get caught in the clutch! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:30 pm 

I strongly advise against using the cylinder studs as engine mounting devices. As was said, fabricate a down tube setup for the engine, don't make the engine a stressed member of the frame.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:23 pm 

It wouldn't be a stressed member. It would only be hung from the frame, not a structural part of it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:19 am 

Yes, it would, against its own weight, vibration, and, stress forces from heat/expansion.

The studs are not strong enough to support the engine assembly in the front, without compromising the integrity of gasket sealing, and/or stretch of the studs in supporting that much actively changing weight.

If you do the cylinder stud mount, expect gasket, and gasket surface, air leak issues, and retorqueing of the head bolts/nuts will end up being a real PITA when their maintenance time comes.

By all means, do it as you wish, but, mounting from the head studs is not sound engineering, in this particular case.

You have a fantastic start towords a GREAT bike, please, do it right in this area, the consequences for doing the cylinder stud mounts just aren't worth the aggravation later into the bike's life.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:13 pm 

Engine parts are arriving!

Ebay bottom end. This was on buy it now at 1200, then, 1000, then 800. When it didn't sell that time, I emailed the guy and offered 400 bucks. He took 500 shipped and it came with two oil pumps.

She's a bit gnarly, but it can be saved. I wanted an engine that needed a little love and I got one. A little rust here and there but everything moves, the cases can be rubber mounted and I think it has a 6 spline clutch release. I already have a NOS pinion gear, I think I may need a clutch basket.
I have some covers coming from a board member, clutch, pump and sprocket.

Got a set of these from a board member here too. Early cylinders on first over. This left jug is the only one I checked and it mic'ed to 2.818. I'll have to do a closer inspection and mic the rest to get a better idea where I am.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:49 pm 

Some progress. I got everything apart, cleaned and beadblasted.

The clutch was in much better shape than it looked. What appeared to be rust was just mung. The primary gear was not rusted and the basket fingers had very little wear. Bonus! The pinion gear has a couple rusty teethe but I got good one off ebay.

I'm at the point now where I have to start sending stuff out. I need to find a sturdy box for the crank to get that rebuilt.I have the box the barrels came in and was packed well so I can re-use that for the top end. That needs to go out for decking and boring. The trans needs to go out for undercutting too.

The bits:

Some port work. Got the in and out ports cleaned up, still working on the transfers. Found an angled pencil grinder on amazon for 160, just waiting on some bits for it.