Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Home anodising aluminium
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:57 am 

Its EASY, and gives that brand new factory look.
Clean the part to be anodised.
In a plastic container, fill with a fairly strong solution of sulphuric acid.
Place a stainless steel or lead cathode plate at the bottom with a stainless wire attached.
Suspend the part above this on a stainless wire, they must not touch and pour in the acid so the part is covered.
Connect a battery charger to both stainless wires, POSITIVE to the work, NEGATIVE to the cathode plate.
After 30 minutes or so of fizzing, remove work and wash and dry it. Immerse in the dye for 15 to 20 minutes, remove and boil it in water for 20 minutes... this hardens and sets the surface.
Dyes are easily found under the DYLON home dye brand..used for dying wool and fabric. Food dye will also work. All colours are available and cheap.
This is less trouble with small parts and easier than painting. Gives a hard wearing surface, great for brake/clutch levers, pedals, brackets, even a whole engine cover.
Practice the process first on scrap aluminium parts to get the feel, much depends on acid strength, charger current etc, everything works, but times vary.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:53 am 

:shock: So easy, thanks for posting. Will try something over the weekend, got some black Dylon somewhere. Lots of Blue food dye - I add it to weedkiller so I can see where I've been.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Great tip!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Admin

One thing with anodizing, it doesn't work well with cast aluminum as the density varies, so you get splotchy coloration........

Still very cool to have the process now, and don't have to look it up.....LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:23 am 

I will add this simply out of concern for the health issues.

This process is dangerous in that it uses sulphuric acids, and they are toxic. I KNOW everyone will practice extreme care in handling this substance, but, PLEASE, do this process in an OPEN AREA, WITH PLENTY OF AIR FLOW/VENTILATION.

Also, this acid will burn/disintegrate skin as easily as it kills lung tissue, PLEASE wear chemically safe gloves when handling it. P L E A S E

THE VAPORS FROM THIS ACID BURNS LUNG TISSUE, AND SKIN EXTREMELY EASILY, HANDLE IT ACCORDINGLY, PLEASE.

This is a great process, I just don't want to see anyone injured, or worse while attempting to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:42 am 
Site Admin

H2RTuner wrote:

This process is dangerous in that it uses sulphuric acids, and they are toxic. I KNOW everyone will practice extreme care in handling this substance, but, PLEASE, do this process in an OPEN AREA, WITH PLENTY OF AIR FLOW/VENTILATION.

Also, this acid will burn/disintegrate skin as easily as it kills lung tissue, PLEASE wear chemically safe gloves when handling it. P L E A S E

THE VAPORS FROM THIS ACID BURNS LUNG TISSUE, AND SKIN EXTREMELY EASILY, HANDLE IT ACCORDINGLY, PLEASE.

This is a great process, I just don't want to see anyone injured, or worse while attempting to do it.

Darn, I just did it in my kitchen on the stove...."cough" "cough"....... :o :o

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:37 pm 

Just don't do it again!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:57 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
H2RTuner wrote:

Darn, I just did it in my kitchen on the stove...."cough" "cough"....... :o :o

Sulphuric is one of the more harmless ones ... its more dangerous to the health riding motorcycles...... :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

starfire wrote:
Sulphuric is one of the more harmless ones ... its more dangerous to the health riding motorcycles...... :)

The point, is always be very careful and use the proper gear when using any strong chemicals, better safe than eaten.........

If you can't drink it or bath in it, then you need safety gear!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:07 pm 

Jebus yes! You could lose a cornea with a simple splash in the eye if you're out in your barn with no water around!