Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:05 pm 

Would it be possible to change out the spokes on my wheels one by one, if i use a torque spoke wrench? without messing up the wheel? making it untrue etc?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:18 pm 

Sverre, if I did it I'd pluck the spokes and find the average musical pitch of the set and make a note before I started. Unless the rim is bent, they should be pretty similar. Then as I put each new one in, I'd pluck it and tighten it until it matched the others, occasionally checking to be sure things were still matching the noted pitch. You should have only minor truing to do after they're all replaced.

Using the musical pitch is an accurate indication of tension, while a torque wrench is only an approximation, since the friction between the spokes and nipples may not be exactly the same.

If you're doing an asymmetrical rear wheel, obviously you'd work with the pitch of the right and left sides separately.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:33 pm 

Pitch works great but there is no way that you can pull one spoke and put it back. If you are going to pull the spokes out re true it and get a dial meter as it works easiest.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:28 am 

True about getting one spoke out and a new one in, depending on exact spoke length, and which one it is. I was actually remembering some work I did on my Guzzi's front wheel. It has straight-pull spokes that come out into the hub once you remove the nipple. It's a really nice setup that lets you easily change one spoke if you want to.

But I've rebuilt a couple motorcycle wheels and used the musical pitch method. After putting all the spokes in and getting their ends close to the same place relative to the nipples, I tightened them up equal amounts until the slack was out. Then rough trued the wheel and set the spokes to the same pitch. Then I did the final truing, continuing to try to keep the pitch the same as before the job started.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:09 am 

Sverre wrote:
Would it be possible to change out the spokes on my wheels one by one, if i use a torque spoke wrench? without messing up the wheel? making it untrue etc?

From my experience I don't think it's possible to change "all" the spokes one at a time!!!
You can't get, either the inner or outer in or out because the spokes that are in place are in the way..
I may be wrong , but there not a lot of room once you start..
There is a video in the resource section , on wheel lacing .. It is really not that difficult if you take your time ,, It was very helpful to me to have another wheel to reference as I did it, pictures left me confused..

1976 KV 75

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:40 pm 

Guess i was looking for a easy way out, thanks for the input. when its time to do it ill just check out the lacing video.. i dont really trust my ears to do it by tone tho, dont really have a reference to what the right tone is.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:19 pm 

The tone is less important than the true. Different spokes may have slightly different tones, depending how the wheel laces. The tone should be the "same" or similar for all spokes and no "dead tone" spokes. IE: Ding, ding, ding, donk, ding, ding, ding.... doesn't really matter what pitch the "ding" is but the "donk" is loose. :lol:

Don't over tighten them, it just needs to be "not loose."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:07 pm 

You could always send them to Brian H on this board he does a great job. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:28 am 

While it is possible to change the outer spokes "one at a time", you would probably have to bend them to get them out (if you don't loosen all the spokes). And bend the replacement spokes putting them in. The inner spokes cannot be removed & replaced without removing the outers. This applies to hubs on triples and many others. There are hubs that can it be done with.

A spoke torque wrench or tone may get you "close". But, your wheel will still need trued the "old school" way to get it right. Since rims are welded (have a seam), and spokes vary slightly, a torque wrench or tone can not get a wheel as true as it can be. Other factors such as lubrication or lack of lubrication on the spoke threads can make a difference in torque and tone, or if your rim isn't perfectly round to start with (most aren't) it will take more torque on some to get it true.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:22 pm 

Sverre:
I've done both the caferacer and the white/green H2B. I can do it during winter, for a case of beer and a package of Bellman cigarillo's :mrgreen:

Jørgen